Wednesday, July 2, 2008

BUSTED

Our 4th of July weekend started off with a bang... of tire fragments on asphalt.

About a half hour into our trip, on I-20 East, I started to think my alignment was off while we were slowed in our first traffic jam of the day. Looking out the windows to check the tires, we didn't see anything, so we continued on. About an hour later, headed south on Hwy 49, we started hearing a strange noise coming from the driver-side front tire. Within a minute, the steering wheel was shaking and we quickly pulled off the road. Before we could come to a stop, we heard a LOUD thumping noise, which turned out to be part of the tire tread that had come loose and ripped off. Good thing it happened while we were only going 5mph! Jay put on the spare, which was practically flat (I'd never needed it in the 6 years I'd owned the car, so it just sat in the trunk with no thought as to how often spares need to be inflated), and drove us slowly about 5 miles down the road to the nearest tire center (ah, Walmart) in Magee, MS. A very nice motorist had stopped to check on us and let us know we were close to town, so we didn't have to worry about calling a tow truck. About an hour and $350 later, we were back on the road with 4 new tires (I'd been needing them for a few months anyway). No worries, nobody was hurt and we were only mildly inconvenienced. Time to get this weekend started!

No comments: