Saturday, December 6, 2008

DECK THE BALLS

What do small towns do to celebrate holidays? Or any occasion, really?

They have a parade of course! To best enjoy the local Christmas Parade of Lights, our friendly downtown-dwelling coworker invited everyone over to her 2nd-story apartment to watch from above. The only condition? Submit to her "Deck the Balls" theme (her take on the 'Round the World theme of the parade) and bring ball-shaped food or a ball-themed beverage. We contributed Jean's Date Balls and they turned out great! Other delicious items on the menu? Fudge Balls, Creme Puffs, Oreo Cookie Balls, Sweet Potato Balls, Meatballs, Apricot Balls, Cheese Balls, and I could go on and on (there was a large crowd in attendance). Jay enjoyed the "Cosmo-ball-itans" and "Bocce Balls", while I sipped Sandy's hot apple cider recipe (yummy, AND it kept me warm - I can't wait for the maternity coat I ordered to arrive, because one button does not keep the belly warm, especially when pressed against a cold railing to overlook parade floats). Here is Jay with a small sampling of the goods from us early-arrivers: Here is Sandy "Claus", miked-up to deliver parade commentary along with the owners of the Warehouse (pictured behind her, across the street, in front of all the Christmas trees):
Those same guys had set up a snow (something we don't see much of here in the south) machine. The kids loved it, us adults wished we had lids on our drinks to keep the soap-suds out:
Here are Jay and I out on the balcony prior to the start of the parade (and that's a Cosmo-ball-itan in Jay's hand: Note the vodka-soaked melon balls):
We hope everyone out there is getting into the spirit this holiday season as well!

No comments: