Sunday, April 5, 2009

ADDICTED TO LOVE (AND VANILLA)

We're so addicted to this kid... We had a really good weekend, with actual sleep at night and lots of fun during the day! We didn't do anything special, just playing around the house and running a few errands, but it was nice. James wore the first onesie we ever bought him (as soon as we had found out we were expecting) yesterday, and I thought I should get a picture of him in it before he outgrows it (since it's newborn size). Isn't he adorable?

To follow up Friday's post, the bedtime bottle seems to be going over well, but not necessarily contributing to longer sleep stretches between feedings... After Friday night's bottle at 9:30pm James was awake for 4 hours (luckily, Jay let me take a 2 hour nap by keeping James company downstairs). After I fed him at 1:30am he immediately passed out (and so did Jay). He ate again at 5:00am, then again at 8:00am. So, Saturday night we decided to give the bottle a little earlier in the evening (8:00pm) to see if we could get him to bed at a more reasonable hour. This resulted in a mere hour of awake time, followed by 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep (for all of us)! Jackpot!! I was wondering when/if I'd ever get more than 3 hours of sleep in a row again... (of course, I was up once during that 4 hour period just to check on James, but I easily fell back asleep and I was very quiet so as not to wake Jay). The feedings for the rest of the night were again at 1:00am, 5:00am, and 8:00am (isn't it weird that this kid generally likes to feed on the hour?) Then, last night was a combo deal: Jay fed James the bottle early again and got him to sleep by 9:00pm, but he was up at 10:00pm demanding to be fed (he hadn't taken the full bottle this time, only about 3 oz, probably because he had fed 2.5 hours before the bottle, so we weren't completely surprised). I had him back in bed by 11:00pm though and he didn't wake for another feeding until 1:30am (3.5 hours between feeds is not too bad, but not what we were hoping for). Then the little stinker was wide awake at 3:30am, so Jay took him downstairs to keep him company for an hour or so until he went back to sleep (we didn't want to feed him since it had only been 2 hours, a trend we're still fighting at night now and then). If I get up with him in the middle of the night, he expects to be fed, so Jay has taken to getting up with him whenever it's just play time that James wants. I fed him again at 5:00am and 8:00am. We're definitely seeing a bit of a pattern here with the 1:00am/5:00am/8:00am feedings (at least this weekend). If this continues, I might have to go back to my late-pregnancy sleep pattern of going to bed at 9:30pm so that I can maintain his 1:00am feeding AND be functional after the 5:00am feeding (since I won't get to go back to sleep until the 8:00am feeding once I have to go back to work). Regardless, we feel like we're on a roll, and so is James. Check out his tipped-over self during tummy time today, a half-roll that he's been doing since he was a week old (he had been facing the toys and the camera to start with, and was headed back from his side to his tummy when the camera clicked):

James is also becoming addicted... to his vanilla-scented pacifier from the hospital! We never gave him a paci in the hospital, and we rarely use one at home (mostly because he's just not that interested), but we decided to try the special hospital paci over the weekend during one of his inconsolable moments. And what do you know? The little guy was instantly calmed! We plan to save this magic paci for emergencies (i.e. major fits of fussiness). However, in fear that we will lose this paci, we've now ordered an assortment from Amazon.com to have on hand - take that hospital staff (they had said that they aren't available anywhere but the hospital). Here he is enjoying that vanilla addiction:

No comments: