Oh, it all started off so well...
The kids were calm, cute, and happily telling each other to hush for the show.
Then when it was the preschoolers' turn to get up and sing their two songs, I tried to help Manu down the aisle and he somehow tripped, face-planting, causing a bloody nose and bumped head. And I think he was pretty scared too. Poor buddy! I went in the bathroom with Sophie to tend to him, figuring my kids would go up and sing their songs, but apparently they just broke down crying (worried about Manu and upset that I was out of sight) because another mom brought them into the bathroom, red-faced and cheeks covered in tears and snot. Once everyone calmed down we went back to sit in the audience and awaited the awards.
Cora got the "Fritos Award" for "being the go 'to' student when the teacher was out". I assume that means she bosses all the other (mostly younger than her) kids around, in addition to running notes up to the office for her teacher. She was quite pleased with her water bottle filled with treats and bag of Fritos, and I was pleased that she went up there by herself to get her award, after initially telling me that I had to go with her and making me hold her hand until we got to the front of the room. (Her teacher gave each of her 1- and 2-year-olds awards named after bags of chips - it was pretty cute.)
James did a good job cheering on the other students, clapping and calling them by name.
When James' name was called, he got off his chair and went all the way to the front solo. Mr. Independent. I was actually really proud of him for his award of "Most Improved" because I know how far he's come this year in respect to listening to direction, staying focused for seat work, and spending less time getting in trouble for climbing tables and wrestling his buddies. He was also thrilled with his award: a beach bucket filled with chips and juice and other snacks.
I had planned to get a photo of them with their awards, with their friends, but a lot of the preschoolers left early, and we ended up leaving early to. Well, attempting to. We got stuck in the parking lot due to being blocked in, so the kids just sat around eating cupcakes while we waited for a clear space to escape. When we got home, we showed Gramma the awards and took a commemorative photo.
(She's actually smiling, it's just a crazy Cora smile. To match her crazy hair. As all her teachers tend to say at the end of the day, "That girls' a mess!")







No comments:
Post a Comment