Sunday, September 26, 2010

POLITENESS FOR DADDY, BUT MAMA GETS SASSED

That's right. James sassed me for the first time this morning. Verbally, anyway. As of this weekend, he very clearly says "No" in the cutest, most determined voice. No more "Nah". It's "No" all the way now. After he woke up, we were playing in his room, and I told James that he needed his diaper changed. He promptly walked to the door, waved at me, and headed down the hall. I told him to stop, and "Come back here mister". He paused, turned back towards me, gave me the sassiest little look, firmly told me "No", and then continued on his way. The little stinker!

Right after that diaper change, he suffered his first major head bump. The first to leave a mark. A "goose egg", actually. And it was mostly my fault. I was changing his shirt ("Arms up"), and as it popped off his head, he lost his balance and tipped head-first into the corner of his dresser (next to me). We're just lucky he didn't cut himself. He did pop a blood vessel though. Great. He's gonna look like a million bucks at daycare tomorrow. Not to mention the doc on Tuesday...

Later in the day, I turned my back on him for a SECOND (well, maybe 10), and he had somehow climbed up INTO the drawer of the coffee table.
Our coffee table is very lightweight. I'm surprised the whole thing didn't topple over on top of him. He had been trying to get to the TV (which is strapped to the wall, don't worry). So, the coffee table has now been moved. Again.

After an unsuccessful day of napping (neither kid wanted to nap on schedule) and the resulting crankiness (hey, we're allowed to be cranky when the kids miss their naps!), we decided to head out to The Hat for dinner on the porch. The weather was perfect for dining al fresco, and the fresh air kept Cora happy. Next on the agenda was Home Depot (for a new shower head, since Jay broke our 7-year-old version, and a retractable clothesline, for sunning the cloth diapers outside). Then the grocery store (Kroger is delightfully vacant on Sunday evenings, by the way). James has been saying "Up" (again, clear as day, with much emphasis on the "ppp" part) for over a week now. We love it! And we're suckers (he's gets picked up every time he says it, which is why we think it has stuck so well - he knows it's effective). However, I've been trying to teach him to say "Up please", not only to start working on his manners, but also so that I don't feel so bossed around. Because it's bad enough being bossed around by your 1.5-year-old. Now that I'm also being sassed, something must be done. But I digress. So, I've been working on "please". (We've been working on "thank you" for a VERY long time, but no success with that one yet) Of course, who does James say it for first? That's right. You guessed it. His Daddy. Every time Jay took James out of his carseat this evening, James said "Up". So Jay said "Up please?" And James would then say "please" (or "peace", as it actually sounds). Adorable, eh? I hope I get my turn tomorrow...

No comments: