Monday, January 11, 2016

2015 RUN RECAP



This past year, I ran 8 races (down a bit from previous years), but still managed to total over 1000 miles (1031 in 2015, 1150 in 2014, 980 in 2013) despite quite a few weeks off (7 total, I think) following the MS50 (2 weeks recovery), during our Disney trip, and healing my hip flexor in November (3 weeks off). My biggest month (ever) was last January (185 miles, prepping for the Mississippi River Marathon and MS50 50K), though I barely even came close to hitting 100 mile months the rest of the year. Running was mostly good (no injuries, other than the hip thing, and I felt really strong this fall), but I've battled back pain since last March (not related to running, as far as I or my doctors can tell), which has kept me from keeping up with core strength and cross training like I should (mostly because I worried they were making it worse). Since my back is still not 100% better though (despite being discharged by my PT, for a second time, and my physical MD - both the day before things took a turn for the worse again - so frustrating), I figure I might as well get back into a good regime of core and cross, in the hopes that getting my strength back will help my back (and make me faster!)


My 8 races this year included four 5K's, one 5-miler, one half marathon (trail), one marathon, and one ultramarathon (and 2 unofficial/virtual races: one for the Hogwarts Running Club and one day that I just ran as fast as I could on my lunch break to see if I could get a 5K PR). I would like to do more races in 2016, especially the shorter distances, with the idea that using races as speedwork will also help me to get faster. Actually, I would have liked to have done more races in 2016, but the Hells Hills Trail Half that I'd planned to do in May was canceled due to extreme rain and flooded trails (which they don't want messed up for the mountain bikers), and I've already mentioned the lost Thanksgiving Day Distance Classic...

This past year, I earned PRs for the 5K (unofficial and official, though their course was short, and extrapolating my time based on pace is less fun than actually earning that time), 5-mile (at OTRR), marathon (at Mississippi River), and ultramarathon (at MS50, by 1.5 hours!)

Here's to 2016! I would love to grab some PRs in the 5K (official!), 10K, and half marathon this year (my Soldier Half PR is getting kind of stale). I just need to keep making forward progress!

No comments: