Jay didn't want to race the Watermelon Classic 5K this year (he hasn't been back to running for very long, and he'd taken a lengthy break over the winter/spring as he adjusted to his new position at work), so I signed up at the last minute. I knew it would be hot. And humid. And I didn't rest or prepare for a short, fast race (I'm running a 50K at the end of the month, so I've been upping my mileage and adding some double days rather than focusing on speedwork, which is kind of a joke in the summer time around here anyway). But it still sucked more than I thought it would (and more than I remembered it sucking back when I ran it 4 years ago). I burned out in the first mile (starting at the front of the pack with Ashley and Eric and Gaurav, because I'm stupid), nearly vomited a few times during the second mile (somehow I had cold chills and felt dehydrated after a mere 8 minutes on the course) and walked while dumping water cups over my head), and just tried to get to the end in under 30 minutes during the last mile. Somehow I still beat my hard-won time from 4 years ago (that I was so proud to get!), but I can't wait to run a WINTER 5K and see if I can get that sub-25:00 that I want so badly... Had I not been so off my game today, I could have placed in my age group. Ashley took 3rd overall female, and both Eric and Gaurav had great races too!
No comments:
Post a Comment