Saturday, September 9, 2017

MAD SCIENTIST 5K

ERDC held their first (open to the public) running event on station this morning and it was a huge hit! They had more registrants than Chill in the Hills! Being one of the few 5Ks in town, if they can get the lawyers to agree to let it become an annual event, it could become very well attended (and raise some much needed funds to improve our on station fitness center, which is not Army funded and thus is full of very old equipment).
I did not run fast (I'm just not there yet - not even close, really), but I did actually run the entire course, which is a first for me. Yes, I know that seems weird to say - I can run a 50K, but can't run a 5K?! Well, ultras basically require walking (and it's expected). 5Ks are supposed to hurt, and they do, but I'm not the best at pacing myself and usually burn out before the end (and require a walk break). So, slow and steady made me very happy today! Plenty of time to get some speed back next year when I'm back in shape and more confident in my knee strength.

No comments: