Wednesday, September 18, 2013

BARLEY'S ANGELS GOES TO BELGIUM

While I don't often blog about it (because I usually forget to take pictures, unless I'm texting bottle photos to Jay to see if I'm trying something that would be new to him, and because I take enough photos of the kids that it's kinda nice to not have the camera attached to my eyeball when I'm on a mamas/ladies night out), I've been regularly attending the MS Sippies Barley's Angels meetings since they started back in February (they occur once/month), and they recently decided to do a worldwide tasting tour in combination with our usual goal of testing food/beer pairings. Last month we went to Mexico, helping Lisa choose a new brew to replace Corona as the mainstay on her menu (I believe we picked Pacifico, if I recall correctly - I tend to always order off tap at Martin's, so I have no idea what their bottle selection currently looks like). Anyway, we tried 4 or 5 different Mexican beers and paired them with chips and salsa, and chipotle chicken. It was pretty delicious, and a bonus that we all drank for free because we were "helping" Lisa pick the new beer. Doesn't it feel good to help a friend?!
 
Continuing with the goal of traveling abroad, last night we visited Belgium. We sampled Hoegaarden White, Yazoo Rye Saison, New Belgium's Fat Tire, Westmalle Dubbel (Trappist), and North Coast's Brother Thelonious (thanks for the recap Sandy, I never would have remembered them all!) We paired them with chocolate (yum!), sharp cheddar and smoked gruyere, red pepper jelly with goat cheese, and panna cotta with raspberry puree and peaches (pictured below, and it was AMAZING).
 It was our biggest turnout yet (I think there were a dozen of us there!)

No comments: