2014 is in the books, and while I definitely struggled this summer with motivation (despite the looming Mt. Ashland Hill Climb Run - the heat and humidity around here is a tough battle to face for so many months in a row) and still unsolved (though luckily resolved) aches and pains throughout my legs, I managed to run 170 more miles this year than last (I totalled 980 miles run in 2013 and 1150 miles in 2014). I had some big months (peak training for Equinox and Soldier, and revving up again last month for my upcoming February marathon) and some little months (back in January tapering for and recovering from The Blues, in June when my legs were really just not cooperating, and again tapering for and recovering from Soldier).
I ran 11 races this year (the same number as last year, but only a few that were the same race course AND distance as last year - I like to try new things), grabbing PRs for the 10K (at the Run Through History) and marathon (at Soldier), as well as our annual Turkey Trot (for which my pace on the hilly trail suprised the hell outta me and makes me want to try for a road 5K PR sooner than later - before the heat and humidity returns!) I had some firsts... my first marathon and my first 50K, and my first hill climb (which might also be my only hill climb...) I skipped out on doing any obstacle course runs (in favor of not getting injured), but spent a lot more time running with my running group and watching it grow. I did a lot of cross training (spinning and yoga), but not nearly enough strength training or speedwork (though I've learned my lesson and am now being much better about it!)
I have been back to running (consistently) for 3 years now, and I'm just loving it more and more. I think each month and every race I do teaches me something, and slowly but surely I'm figuring out what I need to do training-wise to make myself a better (faster, stronger, injury-free!) runner. I'll never be as fast as I was in high school, and that's OK. As long as I'm able to run, with races and adventures to be had, and friends to enjoy them with, I'm a lucky girl. So here's to 2015! I have a lot of ideas for races this year, but the only ones I'm committed to are the Mississippi River Marathon and the Mississippi 50 Trail 50K. T-minus 4 weeks until taper time...

No comments:
Post a Comment