Friday, August 19, 2016

BIRDIE BELL

This little kitten greeted the school children with pitiful cries Thursday morning that could be heard echoing off the front of the building from the parking lot, they were so loud. And every time Ms. Crutchfield went to open the door for someone, it went sneaking up as fast as it could to try and get inside. Clearly it was not afraid of people (not feral) and likely got lost during the previous afternoon's thunderstorms. I took this photo, posted it to the Southpark Parents FB group, and hoped someone knew who it belonged to (since, theoretically, we all live near the school). Nobody came forward though, so when Jay went to pick up the kids after school, he tried to rescue it. But with all the commotion, the kitten was terrified and impossible to catch. So Jay and the kids went home for a bit, then went back to school at 4pm once the crowds dissipated to try again. But still no luck. So when I got home at 6pm, we ate a quick dinner, then went back to the school for one last attempt before the next big storm rolled in. Since the kitten was no longer at the front of the school (having been "chased" outside the fence earlier in the afternoon, we parked in the street near the edge of the playground and listened. Nothing. So I got out and walked into the trees a bit and started calling. Moments later I heard that familiar cry (barely audible over the fast approaching thunderstorm). I alerted Jay that I could hear it and see it, and he jumped out with the cat carrier while I coaxed it close enough to grab hold of. Poor little thing was NOT HAPPY to be scooped up and stuck inside the carrier, but no sooner did we close the back door of the van than the sky exploded with heavy rain.
We hurriedly prepared the dog crate with an extra litter box, a clean towel, and food and water bowls, then opened the cat carrier into the dog crate and quickly shut the door. The kids wanted to play with the kitten SO BADLY, but the little thing was a nervous wreck, so we just said our goodnights and promised to let them play the next day. And I posted to the FB group that the kitten was safe and sound and ready to be adopted by someone else!
Friday morning came and went with no takers, so at lunch we discussed taking the kitten to the local rescue group. I could tell that Jay was hoping I would say that we should just keep it, but after learning the cost of adopting an animal off the streets with Cannon, I was in no rush to make such a monetary commitment (especially when we are trying so hard to get ourselves debt-free). I casually mentioned to my boss that we had rescued a kitten and asked if he wanted to adopt it. Surprisingly, he said YES (they'd been wanting another cat for a while, apparently), so after a quick check with his family, it was decided that the kitten had a new home (just one street over from us!)
Jay picked up the kids from school and let them play with the kitten (who turned out to be a very friendly little girl who just needed some love) until Rick stopped by to pick her up. No, the kids were not pleased that mama found a good home for the kitten. (And neither was Jay, even though had I not found it a home, the plan was for him and the kids to take the kitten up to PAWS after school anyway.) There will certainly be another kitten in our future, but now was just not the right time (on top of the expense, I really don't think it's fair to keep bringing baby animals into Jude's house - she's getting old and grumpy and has had to put up with a lot between 3 moves between states/homes, 2 babies/kids joining the family, losing her brother, dealing with temporary baby chicken house guests on multiple occasions, and gaining the little "thunder cat" known as Cannon).

Oh yeah, and Rick and his family named the kitten "Birdie Bell" (because she likes to harass their parakeets) and they love her very much already!

No comments: