Monday, September 19, 2016

SHELBY FARMS PARK

Robyn was ready for an adventure this morning! She planned a day at Shelby Farms Park Conservancy where we could do anything from hiking to paddle boarding to horseback riding. Being Monday, not everything was open, but the GoApe zipline obstacle course was! While we waited for our appointment time, we checked out the huge playground and got some steps in (I love winning the VivoFit steps challenge), and I made her pose with a life-size stuffed bison (they have a live herd roaming the grounds, which we saw at the end of the day).
The GoApe obstacle course challenge started with a lengthy instructional lesson and practice session. The instructor later commented that the 3 of us (small group!) were some of the most attentive he's seen. Well, when your life depends on following the instructions, you listen, am I right?!
 After a (low to the ground) "Amazon Bridge" and mini zipline practice session, we passed the "point of no return" and began the climb into the trees.
 There were 5 sections in total, each of which started with a lengthy ladder climb up into the canopy (20-30 feet up) after entering a locked staging area (where we could get water to rehydrate and rest on benches between sets). The ladders, obstacles, and "Tarzan Swings" each had us using different safety systems, but one thing was common between them all - ALWAYS STAY CONNECTED!
 I didn't take too many photos up in the trees, mostly because my phone was zipped into my shorts and tucked beneath my harness (making it hard to access), but also because (obviously) we were on the move (I tended to send Robyn ahead so that I had an example to follow) and having fun, and working hard (it was taxing on the arms especially, but also the legs at times, not to mention my nerves!) In this particular set of photos, Robyn is taking the "Extreme" option while I paralleled her on the "Moderate" side.
 Yes, those are free hanging RINGS that she had to navigate through. She says this was the hardest obstacle. And I was so happy I walked the X's and O's instead!
 Net bridge. Just a few stories up and a position that forced us to look down at the ground as we placed our knees (I tended to avoid looking down for fear that I'd lose my balance or become unnecessarily scared - I really was VERY safe and secure the entire time, and I always double checked my connections before starting a new obstacle).
 Here are some videos of Robyn on the Tarzan Swings (version 1 = Practice, version 2 = Extreme):
And here is Robyn crossing the lake one final time (5 of the 6 ziplines crossed the lake), showing how easy it should be to land upright (something I failed to accomplish, except on that first tiny practice run):
In watching those videos, if you assume that Robyn is calm, collected, and fearless while suspended 30ft above the ground completing obstacles, you'd be correct. Me on the other hand? Not so much. And I'm not nearly as graceful either...
(That was my 3rd zipline, I think. Most of those screams were for fun. The first two rides nearly made me pee my pants though...)

Before heading to the airport (BOO!), we had a very late lunch at the Trolley Stop Market, drove over to Arkansas just to say we did (little did we know that Robyn's plane would get re-routed to Little Rock later that night due to weather - DOH!), then walked Beale Street one more time. I am so grateful for this weekend. Robyn is like family to me, she IS family to me, and it's SO HARD living far away from your family. I miss her and Stephen all the time, and since neither of us are very good about phone calls (and she doesn't like social media much, though I'm trying to convert her!), these times that we get together are really fun and special. It had been too long. Thank you, Robyn, for making the trip down to the south, I LOVE YOU!

No comments: