Saturday, January 7, 2017

BLUES OVER THE BLUES

 Today should have been the 10th running of the Mississippi Blues Marathon, but the race was cancelled due to icy roads and unsafe conditions for both runners and volunteers. Not that I would have run anyway (I've been out with a hip injury for a few weeks, and slipping around on icy roads would have made it so much worse and wasted any healing time I'd accumulated this far), but I felt so bad for those who had driven a long distance or flown in (or registered just this week when the rate was sky-high at $120 - I had lucked out with a $10 anniversary registration). It's hard to believe that this event was my first marathon was 3 years ago already... Had they not cancelled this year's event (and I had been able to run), it would have been my 7th marathon+ race distance. I'm sure I'll run another someday... Our running group plans to put on an honorary 13.1 "race" followed by a celebratory tailgate sometime soon so that everyone who collected a medal for today (they gave them out to anyone who wanted them, even though nobody ran the race) can justify the award. There's always next year for the Blues...

No comments: