So, the weekend started off normal, other than James waking a bit earlier than usual (5:50am) on Saturday. No worries, we brought him into bed with us for a nursing session, as we always do on the weekends. But, rather than falling back asleep for an hour or so afterward, as he usually would, he was wide awake and ready to play. So we spent some family time in bed. James won the contest for the cutest PJs out of the 3 of us, of course:
And he tried out his walker for the first time, a cool car from his Grand Aunt Margie. He has no idea how to make it go as of yet. Forward OR backward. In fact, he pulls his legs back and rests his feet on the bar at the back of the car and just sits there. But he does enjoy looking at himself in the rearview mirrors and spinning the toys:

Unfortunately for James, he hadn't had a BM since Tuesday. And what "passed" on Tuesday, did not pass as appropriate, so he was subjected to more juice. Since he didn't like the apple last weekend, we went back to the prune. No dice this time around though! He HATED it! We tried two different types of bottles, the medicine dropper, and finally a spoon. We got some in there, but it was painful for all of us (mostly for James):

Of course, when we let him free of the juice attack he was right back to his happy self. He enjoyed talking with his grandparents:

He took a nap in his crib:
And he tried out his walker for the first time, a cool car from his Grand Aunt Margie. He has no idea how to make it go as of yet. Forward OR backward. In fact, he pulls his legs back and rests his feet on the bar at the back of the car and just sits there. But he does enjoy looking at himself in the rearview mirrors and spinning the toys:
Since he wasn't going anywhere on his own, we decided to move the car throughout the house for him. He particularly enjoyed watching the fish in the aquarium. He was studying them so hard we worried he was going to get permanent forehead creases:
Now for the weird part. James went to bed like clockwork at his usual time (8:00pm) Saturday night, so Jay and I retreated to the couch to finish watching "Disturbia". We stayed up late, heading our separate ways to game and read. I fell asleep around 11:45pm, but was awakened at midnight by James fussing in his crib. I waited it out for a few minutes, thinking he'd put himself right back to sleep as he always does. I was watching him on the monitor and noticed he was really kicking his legs and swinging his arms, and twisting his body back and forth. Then he scooted himself up to the top of the crib and somehow got himself turned perpendicular. Obviously, this caused me to go in there and right the boy. The second he saw me he just started bawling, so I scooped him up and commenced rocking. He was so very upset! He would start to suck his thumb, then yank it out like it was on fire. Singing to him didn't help. Walking did nothing. So I thought, maybe he's hungry. Sure, he hasn't woken up for a middle-of-the-night feed since July 2nd, but maybe he's hitting his 6 month growth spurt early. The nursing calmed him down. But then as soon as he was finished, the crying started again. Jay came to investigate and we decided to try a suppository, since we still hadn't gotten a BM out of him. We thought with all the body twisting and back arching, maybe it was belly pains. Well, it was no problem giving it to him, but then he was wide awake and wanted to play. Here's the little stinker in our bed (where he ended up staying for the rest of the night), still awake at 2:00am:

Now for the weird part. James went to bed like clockwork at his usual time (8:00pm) Saturday night, so Jay and I retreated to the couch to finish watching "Disturbia". We stayed up late, heading our separate ways to game and read. I fell asleep around 11:45pm, but was awakened at midnight by James fussing in his crib. I waited it out for a few minutes, thinking he'd put himself right back to sleep as he always does. I was watching him on the monitor and noticed he was really kicking his legs and swinging his arms, and twisting his body back and forth. Then he scooted himself up to the top of the crib and somehow got himself turned perpendicular. Obviously, this caused me to go in there and right the boy. The second he saw me he just started bawling, so I scooped him up and commenced rocking. He was so very upset! He would start to suck his thumb, then yank it out like it was on fire. Singing to him didn't help. Walking did nothing. So I thought, maybe he's hungry. Sure, he hasn't woken up for a middle-of-the-night feed since July 2nd, but maybe he's hitting his 6 month growth spurt early. The nursing calmed him down. But then as soon as he was finished, the crying started again. Jay came to investigate and we decided to try a suppository, since we still hadn't gotten a BM out of him. We thought with all the body twisting and back arching, maybe it was belly pains. Well, it was no problem giving it to him, but then he was wide awake and wanted to play. Here's the little stinker in our bed (where he ended up staying for the rest of the night), still awake at 2:00am:
The suppository did nothing (well, nothing much). We ended up with another crying fit right after I took the above photo, so we commenced nursing again. Hungry or not, I knew it would calm him down (he's never refused the breast), and Jay and I were quickly becoming exhausted and in need of sleep. I think we all finally drifted off around 2:30am. We got about 3 hours of sleep, then James woke up crying. REALLY crying. He NEVER wakes up crying these days! Even after 11 hours sleeping, he calmly wakes up and plays in his crib, babbling until I come in to get him out and feed him. So, the kid was either really hungry again (hence our growth spurt theory) or in pain (hence our BM worry). Then we thought, "Oh. Maybe he's teething". So we checked. We couldn't see anything. No swollen gums. No redness. Nothing peeking through. Nada. So, we nursed again and managed to get an hour nap in after he finished (I know some women can sleep-nurse in the side-laying position, but I just can't - I feel like I have to watch him and make sure he isn't getting squished). When he woke around 7:00am, Jay tried to take him downstairs so I could get some more sleep, but the boy just wouldn't quiet down. He was happy at this point, just ready to be awake and playing. However, since we still hadn't seen a BM (stupid suppository - they're suppose to work in 15-60 minutes!), it was time for more juice. And more fussing. Afterward, he was a happy boy again though:
It's 9:00pm now. James has been in bed for an hour. Still no BM. And I'm sitting here wondering whether we'll have a repeat performance tonight. I should go get a nap, just in case...
It's 9:00pm now. James has been in bed for an hour. Still no BM. And I'm sitting here wondering whether we'll have a repeat performance tonight. I should go get a nap, just in case...But, to end on a high note, here are a couple more cute pictures from this afternoon. I'm sure I'm not unique in this, but I just LOVE watching my boys interact. They are so cute together, and they always have so much fun (as long as there's no juice involved). Yes, James loves us both, but it's so interesting to me that he already responds to us differently. Nobody can get James laughing and squealing like his Daddy can! Maybe it's the rough-housing (James loves it already), or maybe it's just a guy-thing that I'll never fully understand, but my son is definitely a Daddy's boy:



And I'm OK with that.
1 comment:
I thought that growth spurts were more myths than anything else. Then Azure went through one this weekend. It's crazy how much one little baby can put away in one sitting. And then she can do it all over again an hour later.
Post a Comment