We're at 30 weeks and 5 days today, and I had my quickest appointment yet:
Weight - good
Blood pressure - excellent
Cora's heartrate - loud and clear in the upper 140s
And no issues to report (i.e. no contractions - well, other than the start of Braxton Hicks)
See ya in 2 weeks for the growth ultrasound...
Gotta love quick doctor visits, especially when you have to go work a full day afterwards. Quick appointments allow for stops at Starbucks for decaf mochas and pastries. What? My weight gain was GOOD, remember? I deserve a little indulgence. Besides, in the past week my appetite has dropped significantly (I guess Miss Cora is already taking over and reducing stomach space), so I eat what I can fit, when I can tolerate it. The past week has also shown a dramatic change from "2nd trimester bliss" to 3rd trimester survival mode. I am now sore every day. Back, legs, hips, feet - you name it. Sciatica is an unending battle. Nothing I do (or don't do) helps, so I just pause and breathe through it, then go about my day. Sleep is uncomfortable, inconsistent, and interrupted by increased bathroom breaks. And thus I'm always tired. I run out of breath carrying James upstairs, so I usually shuffle behind him as he crawls up. In fact, he's getting so heavy that I've resorted to wearing him in the sling around the house, just to give my arms a break. I can't wait for the Beco baby carrier I ordered to arrive (due any day now). Then I can wear James like a backpack and actually have my hands free to make dinner and fold laundry (because as independent as our boy is, his teething and separation anxiety are still making him extra clingy with us, and it's easier to just hold him than to have to stop what I'm doing every 2 minutes to pick him up - which is not helping the sciatica or back pain). Heartburn is my daily nemesis, though Zantac and TUMS do help when I remember to take them. I can no longer keep hold of my toes long enough for self-pedicures, due to the ever-expanding belly (I swear I lasted longer last time around), and Jay has already had to start assisting me with my shoes on days that I don't wear flip-flops (I guess that's ONE bonus of being largely pregnant in the Mississippi summer... flip-flops are perfectly acceptable, even at work and church). And I can no longer lay James down to sleep in his crib at night delicately. And that's rough. It had only been 4 days since I had given the bedtime bottle (yes, he's still drinking 3 bottles/day - the sippy cup transition is not going well), where Jay had released me to relax (i.e. nap) while he did bedtime duty, but upon my return the other night I found that I could no longer reach the bottom of the crib due to my belly. I had James inches from the mattress, sound asleep and cradled in my arms, and I just couldn't lay him down delicately! Rather than call for Jay and risk waking James, I let go of his legs first, sort-of "sat" him down, then used both hands to guide his head down as slowly and gently as I could. I succeeded, but I won't be attempting it again. Good thing James stands up for me in the morning when he's ready to get out of his crib, so I don't have to bend over. And good thing he's moving to a regular bed soon. Of course, then I'll have to figure out how to roll my pregnant belly down off his mattress, 6 inches to the floor, and get myself up to standing without grunting and waking him... Ah, the joys of pregnancy!
ANYWAY, here's the giant belly at 30 weeks (taken last Friday):

And Miss Cora, regardless of my "belly aching", please know that I am still LOVING growing you and feeling your movements and discovering little glimpses into your personality (you shook my belly so hard last night your Daddy did a double-take - seriously, it looked like you were dancing). I'm in no hurry whatsoever for you to make your appearance and would prefer you be fully cooked when you do so. You've got almost 9 more weeks to go to reach that status Baby Girl, so just keep doing your thing and I'll keep doing mine. I love you!
Also, before I end this post, I must show off the beautiful quilt that your Grambot's coworker Becky made for you:

It's handmade items like this that end up being treasured forever. Thank you Becky! Cora also has a cute bib from Amy (which I need to get a photo of), not to mention all those bows. And James has LOTS of nice afghans and blankets and bibs, and even a cool teddy/monkey that I've been meaning to show you all...
No comments:
Post a Comment