Friday, April 30, 2010

PAST THE POINT OF NO BJORN

It's no secret that we're babywearers. When James was born, we purchased/received as gifts a mei tei, a Hotsling, and a Baby Bjorn.

I'll admit that I never really liked the mei tei. I thought I would. Babwearer experts everywhere will tell you that it is the best type of carrier both for baby and parent. They "cup" the baby's bum with a wider band of material so that circulation is maintained in the legs, and they provide better spine positioning. Because they tie around the waist AND have shoulder straps, they are easier on the parent's back. There are LOTS of varieties of mei tei-style carriers, but one of their common features is the one I liked least - they have long tie-style straps. No buckles or snaps, just material. Personally, it just wasn't for me. I don't like a lot of material hanging around. And Jay never liked this carrier either (also because of all the dangly material). Unfortunately, we used it so few times we don't even have a picture of James in it...

I used the Hotsling a lot when James was newborn, but stopped using it when he got too big to fit comfortably inside (and safely in the cradle-carry position). It's a pocket sling and the material is non-stretch (and thick), so it doesn't fit Jay at all (his shoulders are much broader than mine) and it was too hot for the summer months anyway. I set it aside, then brought it back out when James was big enough and strong enough to be hip-carried:

In the meantime, we got a Baby Bjorn, even though babywearers tend to give them bad reviews (due to poor positioning and circulation). However, we never planned to keep James in it for extended periods of time anyway, so we decided to try it out. We LOVED it! We bought the mesh/sport version (to combat the Mississippi heat) and we found it to be very comfortable until James was about 9-months-old. We'd carry him around the grocery store, on family outings, and for walks in the neighborhood. He could face us and avoid the touchy-grabby folks, or face out and observe his environment. Only if he'd been in it an hour or more did we ever notice circulation issues (cold toes), at which point we'd just take him out and hold him in our arms for a while. The Bjorn is rated up to 25 lbs, but we quit using it when James was around 20 lbs because it put too much pressure on our shoulders (there is no waist belt on the Bjorn). Here is the little guy at 2-months when we first started using it:

After that, we either just held James (and you really notice every half pound they gain when you're simply carrying them in your arms all the time) or used the umbrella stroller (which we also really love, just not for every outing). We missed wearing James though, so I started doing some research, and talking to my babywearing friends Christina and Mary Beth... Turns out a ring-sling is the way to go, so I ordered one from Sleeping Baby Productions and both James and I love it. Even Jay uses it (though he doesn't love it - I guess slings are just more of a mom thing). The only problem with a sling is that it doesn't truly leave you "hands free", even with a perfect fit (and the ring slings are adjustable, so it's easy for both Mommy and Daddy to get a perfect fit from the same sling). After jumping into the babywearer's group on BabyCenter.com, I learned about a few other options, approved by the babywearing experts themselves. Soft-sided carriers similar to mei teis, but with BUCKLES! They can be worn on the front or back (though please note that these are not for forward-facing babies - they have to face into your body whether on your tummy or back). There are lots of varieties and brands (Beco, Oh Snap, Ergo, Boba) and each have their selling points. I picked the Beco Butterfly II because 1) it is slightly slimmer (giving more breathability on the sides for the Mississippi heat), 2) it is taller/longer (giving more support to the toddler), 3) they had organic (you know my love of all things organic for babies), and 4) the straps are padded, but less bulky (so it feels cooler on the parent, is lighter-weight, and be folded into diaper bags easier). We tried it out last night, backpack-style, for 45 minutes and James loved every second. It fits Jay just as well as it fits me (it's very adjustable) and we both found it to be really comfortable and convenient. I had BOTH hands completely free for making dinner, folding laundry, and opening the mail (and James couldn't reach around to snatch envelopes out of my hand). I think James spent even more time than usual talking while I was wearing him (not sure his mouth ever stopped moving during that 45 minutes), and he especially enjoyed playing with my hair. He'd use both arms to "hug" me, tuck them both in and lay his head down, or tuck one in to suck his thumb while using the other to play with my hair or steal magnets off the fridge when I stood too close to it. It was great. This is definitely a keeper and something we'll use often over the next few years (they're rated to 45 lbs, and although that sounds heavy, that's still lighter than the backpacks we carried on the PCT by 15-20 lbs)! Here are Jay and I modeling the front and back carries tonight (James was waving at his Daddy in my photo):

1 comment:

Al and Christina said...

We might have to try this carrier out! I love the sling, but it does get a little hot, even though I ordered a lighter weight material. I carried Will through a store on Sat night and my arms were so tired when we got done. That is what I get for thinking we were just going to run in really quickly!