Thursday, April 29, 2010

NEW OVERNIGHT DIAPERS

I'm sure many of you remember my wordy blog post about cloth diapers. Well, we've had a change of heart about our overnight diapers recently. For the past couple of months, actually. Ever since James started wearing 2-piece pajama sets (rather than the sleepers), we've been having a problem with leaking. We thought maybe the diapers just needed to be "stripped" (that is, removed of detergent build-up), but that didn't take care of the problem. We thought maybe the fit wasn't right, but multiple adjustments haven't stopped the leaking either. Then I decided to do some more reading up on diapers (yes, there's always more to learn) and found out that the construction of the diaper itself could be the problem. It seems that 2-piece pajamas tend to fold in (under those big baby bellies), causing the top seam to come into contact with the inside of the diaper. Since our chosen overnight diapers (the Fuzzi Bunz) are fully lined with microfleece (a wonderful wicking fabric), James' pajama bottoms were resting right against it all night, eventually leading to urine leaking out onto the pajamas. Boo. So, I talked with my favorite diaper retailer and got a few suggestions. One was to layer a onesie under the pajama bottoms to prevent the folding in. That did NOT work for us - James just ended up soaked from armpit to ankle (it was terrible, really, so we only gave that one shot). Another idea is to layer a diaper cover OVER the diaper. I was against this (unless the 3rd option didn't work) mainly because I didn't want to add another waterproof (and thus, not very breathable) layer over James' sensitive bum for 11 hours/night. Her 3rd suggestion ended up being the golden ticket though. Something new to try (new to us, anyway). Like the Fuzzi Bunz we've been using for almost 9 months, they're not organic (there actually aren't that many varieties of organic AIO or pocket diapers out there), but they are BumGenius, the brand we love. They're the BumGenius 3.0, to be exact: They come with a specially designed front that prevents the wicking of liquid to clothes. Other than that, they're you're standard pocket diaper, only they come with an extra insert (perfect for overnight use). Although they also work well with the Superdo inserts we were using with the Fuzzi Bunz. Oh, and these are One-Size pocket diapers, so they'll fit James through potty training (whereas the Fuzzi Bunz size mediums he was in may not have lasted that long, since they only go to 30 lbs as opposed to the 35 lbs rating of the BG 3.0). Instead of snaps (which we normally prefer), they have applix/velcro. I thought I wouldn't like them, but it turns out that we are able to get an even better custom fit with them, which probably also helps with the leaking. We bought just one to try out and were extremely impressed, so then we bought a 3-pack. These easily last us between laundry days (we don't have to wash diapers every day, except for the weekends when we use them exclusively). And we managed to snag the last of the Moonbeams (one of our favorite boy colors):

2 comments:

editor said...

We do a double stuff BG 3.0 for nights too. They are impressive to say the least.

TEAM LINDSAY said...

I thought you were using the 3.0s! I should have talked to you before I ordered, to get your opinion. Glad you like them though. We're still very happy with them. I LOVE that James is never wet in the morning anymore. Makes it much more pleasant on those mornings that he finds his way into our bed at 5am! And they are so soft!!