Thursday, October 11, 2012

CORPS DAY TRAIL RUN!

This morning we ran the first annual (hopefully!) ERDC Corps Day Essayons Challenge 5K Trail Run. Wow, that's a long name. Being a government event and all, you'd think they'd have come up with an accronym...

Anyway, as usual, I was pumped for the race. Especially since I wasn't planning to RACE, per se, but rather run a little harder than my usual while simultaneously trying not to keel over during the 6 body weight exercise stations. Interspersed throughout the race course were 6 challenge stations, where the exercises got progressively harder as you became more tired: 20 push-ups, 25 jumping jacks, 20 sit-ups, walking lunges up a hill, 15 burpees, and 25 air squats. Needless to say, we were all pretty exhausted by the end of the 3 mile run (according to Jay's Garmin, the race course came in at 2.97 miles instead of the usual 3.1 of a 5k). 

This is the awesome turnout of just the EL folks (remember, we have 4 different labs here on station). Why am I the sweatiest one in this photo?! Maybe I need to start racing in white or black shirts...

It was SO much fun though - totally worth the sweat! I lost Sophie somewhere after the first mile on our first big downhill (that girl FLIES down hills!), but kept her (and Jay, who was just ahead of us most of the race) in sight throughout the race. Eventually I caught Jay and we crossed the finish line together. We haven't hooked up his Garmin to go over his stats yet, but our finish time was 38:00, so with 6 exercise stations that probably took 30-120 seconds each to complete, I'm guessing we ran ~10:00 miles in between the challenge stations. That makes me pretty happy considering I've only been back to running for 2 weeks! Of course, I am icing my legs tonight and hoping my sore feet feel better by the time we start our 5 mile Over the River Run in two days...

No comments: