Thursday, February 14, 2013

A LOVELY DAY

Happy Valentine's Day!

Last night Jay and I put together the kids' Valentine goodies... 

James and Cora's Valentines: cute bags with a few chocolates and JellyBellies from their parents, and the many cards they received from their grandparents and great-grandparents.
Valentines for Cora to give to her school friends
Valentines for James to pass out to his buddies at school
Cora's Valentine collection box from last year, making it's second appearance
(Our little 20-month-old Cora adding the hearts to her Valentines box last February)
James' Valentine collection box (I put a little more forethought and effort into it this year and he was thrilled!)
(His last minute fabric-covered glue-mess debacle from last year)
 This morning the kids opened their goodie bags while Daddy made pink heart pancakes and bacon for breakfast (yum!)


Please note that I received THREE boxes of chocolate this year. Jay and the kids each picked a box. I must have a chocoholic reputation or something...
Of course, the best part wasn't the chocolate. It was the cards. Especially the one from James, for which he wrote ALL BY HIMSELF WITHOUT TRACING "Mom" and "James". And who doesn't love Yoda wishing them a Happy Birthday Valentine's Day? The card lights up and plays the Star Wars theme. I'm pretty sure James wants it back (he picked it himself, of course, and actually told me all about it last night - preschoolers definitely don't understand the concept of a secret!)


 Cora wrote her name and her card too (with some assistance from daddy with the R) and I was equally impressed. Cora loves to spell her name for me and anyone else who will listen. They've both been SO good about their seat work lately and are being super careful with their tracing. I just didn't know they could write their letters (other than J, anyway) freehand without tracing. I admit I teared up realizing how big they're both getting...


 Mmmm, breakfast is ready!
James: "Thank you for making us yummy pancakes daddy!"
Cora: "Pinka pinka pink I said!" (quoting Pinkalicious, of course).


Then mama had to rush off to work, so daddy grabbed a picture of the kids in their Valentine's/ChristmasRed shirts holding their Valentine boxes before they loaded up in the van. He reported that the kids were super excited to go to school and pass out their Valentines, and eat lots of "treats" and chocolate at their party today.


And party they did! Just like last year, we ordered candygrams for the kids (and their best friend Manu, and their teachers), and they came home with a lot of sweets. And the sugar high to go with them. It's cool though - Valentine's Day only comes once a year.

After school we hit the gym, then the park. Unfortunately, only James played the 30 minutes at the park (before it got cold and dark), since Cora fell asleep in the car (I assume her nap was shortened due to the sugar intake today).



After the park we met Daddy at OrangeLeaf for yet more sugar...


Don't worry, we fed them a healthy pizza dinner to make up for all the treats. And got them to bed no later than an hour(ish) past their usual bedtime. Hope everyone else enjoyed some sweetness today as well. We love you all!

No comments: