I went into work early today (rather than carpool with Jay) so that I could pick the kids up early and go home for a while before spin class (Jay had a Delta Brews meeting tonight, so I needed to take Buster out too). The kids were full of energy when I picked them up. Cora was dancing with the older girls (perhaps learning some cheerleading moves...) and James was in the gym (and had been there for almost 2 hours, according to the afternoon Daycamp supervisor, playing various sports and some group games, like "Ships and Sailors" - a favorite of both kids). I figured they'd crash on the way home, but no. They had popsicles, then went right back to running around - playing on the zipline and teeter-totter, then ransacking Cora's closet to play dress-up. When it was time to load up to go back to the gym, I was feeling guilty and told them we could just stay home if they wanted, if they were tired. They said no, and that they WANTED to go back to the gym (to see their other friends, in the gym daycare room), so off we went. By the time my class ended and I picked them up at 7:00pm, I expected to find them zoned-out in front of a movie. But no, they were playing tag (with bases!) and somehow still running wild, full of energy. Going home to force them into bed without Jay there as backup sounded painful, so I decided a late dinner at ChickFilA, with more running around (at their indoor playground), was in order. They made "new best friend" after "new best friend", and my 5 minute warnings were extended over and over as they laughed and played and begged to stay longer. Finally, at 8:15pm (15 minutes past their bedtime), I pulled the plug and told them we had to get home before they turned into pumpkins. As I buckled them into the van, I remembered that we had a Skype date with Grambot (before she left for Las Vegas) that we were now exceptionally late for... So we rushed home, Skyped anyway, and finally got to bed around 9:15pm. Much too late for a school night (okay, Daycamp/work night), but even then it was a struggle to get them calm and quiet and still. It took a couple extra songs and some corporal cuddling, but at least they were in bed (not asleep...) before daddy got home!
Everywhere we went tonight people asked me if Cora had come from dance class. Nope. She just refused to leave the house without the tutu and it wasn't worth arguing over.


No comments:
Post a Comment