While sitting at the vineyard yesterday afternoon, my phone rang with a Code Red Weather Alert, which was quickly followed by a text from Jay and my making a call to Jean (who was home with the kids while Jay was at a meeting, and I worried she wouldn't see the text, since the kids tend to keep her a tad bit busy when she visits). She had just made dinner, so she and the kids rushed to the bathroom to eat their ham and mac-n-cheese while the tornado warning passed.
But then there was another tornado warning...
And another...
So they basically spent 3 hours trapped in the bathroom while I stressed about their safety from 2000 miles away. As soon as there was a break in the intensity of the storm (not that the storm stopped, but it slowed slightly for a short bit), Jay carefully made his way across town and arrived before the next deluge. They ended up losing power before bedtime (and it stayed out for about two and a half days because our substation flooded and there were trees down on lines all over town) and only the kids slept much overnight, since the rain continued to pound (they ended up getting 10" in the 12 hours of nonstop rain), the thunder and lightening kept up all night, and because I called Jay (in a near panic) as I drove up to Sacramento because I continued to get weather warnings (mostly flash flood warnings at that point) and hadn't heard from him (I didn't know he had gone to bed).
Lack of power doesn't get them down! Gramma knows how to keep them busy ;-)






No comments:
Post a Comment