Tuesday, August 17, 2010

CORA'S FIRST BRITCHES

When I first entered the world of cloth diapering, I was overwhelmed by the choices of types (fitted, pocket, AIO, AI2, etc.) and brands (BumGenius, Fuzzi Bunz, Rumparooz, Thirsties, etc.). Nearly an entire year went by before I learned that those brands were just the tip of the iceburg... there is a whole CULTURE to this cloth diapering thing. I was amazed to learn about WAHM diapers (made by Work At Home Moms) and how coveted they can be. Yes, you read that right. COVETED! This culture of cloth diapering mamas literally drool over certain WAHM brands, styles and fabric selections.

You may have noticed the new link on the blog for Hyena Cart - a conglomeration of online WAHM retail shops (sort of similar to ETSY), named after an animal known for stalking its prey. In a similar fashion, these mamas stalk the diapers they hope to purchase. Crazy, right? Well, I was fascinated (of course) and had to give it a try. Especially when I came across the "Tweet Tweet" pattern being offered in an AI2 diaper (a style I had been interested to try) by one of the most well known and respected WAHM shops: Bebe Britches. So last Thursday, as the clock ticked toward her weekly 6pm EST stocking time, I sat at my computer and clicked the refresh button repeatedly. My heart beat faster. It was so exciting! There were 111 shoppers online, including me. And then it happened. My computer refreshed and the "Buy Now" button opened up. I clicked on it as fast as I could, and wouldn't you know it, I got my diaper! I won! And isn't it gorgeous?

And as if you now don't think I'm crazy enough on my own, I think I have gotten my Aunt Margie so interested in this whole culture of cloth diapering mamas that she's going to go into business for herself. Sorry Uncle Daryl. Of course, I can't WAIT to be her tester!

Leave a comment if you have an idea for a shop name for her. Maybe something with "Grand" or "Fluff" or "Bottoms"... She's taking any and all suggestions.

4 comments:

editor said...

How cool! Who knew there was such a following for WAHM diapers? I'm very curious what is the outside of the Britches made of?

TEAM LINDSAY said...

The outside is a super-soft cotton print. Then there's a hidden layer of PUL (a waterproof fabric similar to what the BumGenius outer fabric is). And the inside is fleece. The Bebe Britches soakers are made of organic bamboo fleece and organic bamboo velour. The whole thing is very plush!

She has a new version (debuting tomorrow) called "Skinny Britches" that uses microchamois instead of fleece, making the diaper more trim (less bulky on the bum). I am so very tempted to try it, but I think Jay may have my head if I do...

Diaper patterns are easy to find online (free and for purchase - check out La Di Da diapers, for example). I bet you could EASILY make Azure some fancy diapers!

Dawn Hancock said...

You are too funny! I have seriously been thinking of cloth diapering #2. I had considered it with Coltin since my Mom used CD on me and my brother back in the day but I was SOOO overwhelmed by the choices and Coltin was and still is a champion pooper so I was really put off using them with him. Not to mention I literally had a closet full of disposables from family and friends. Maybe you will convert me :)

editor said...

Thanks Denise for the info. I am considering making some new diapers for Azure since she has figured out how to undo the velcro on her BGs. I'll have to check out this microchamois first though. Sounds way fun. Happy diapering!