Monday, August 16, 2010

SHE'S "MOSTLY" AVERAGE

Cora had her 2-month well baby exam this morning. We showed up on time, and Cora slept for most of the 45 minutes we were in the waiting room, in her carseat. Shocking, I know, but she had kept Jay and I up most of the night, so I guess she was pretty tired. "Talk to the hand":Once in the exam room, she was awake and happy to lay alone on the exam table, look around and "coo" at the lights, and flash me some smiles (and goofy faces).
She's getting better at sucking on her fist (and sometimes just the fingers or thumb).She was a good sport for the good doctor, all calmness and zero fuss, even for the ear and throat examinations. She passed the milestone tests of smiling, tracking, and babbling. However, she did get in trouble for her dislike of tummy time... Because she prefers to look to the right (Have you noticed? Just check out all her photos posted here and elsewhere), she is developing a minor flat spot on the back right side of her head. And this is causing the front right side to bulge out a tiny bit. I noticed this starting to happen about 3 weeks ago, but you can only see if from the perfect angle, so it really is very slight. The cure? More tummy time! So, like it or not, Cora will be exercising her neck muscles for longer stretches each day (with our assistance - the good doc gave me some tips), and when we're playing with her during floor time, we're suppose to lay her on her left side. Should be fun...

Her official stats today are 10 lbs 12 oz and 22 inches (average) and 36.5 cm (5th percentile). She gained 28 oz total in the past month, so right around 1 oz per day, which is the expected rate for a breastfed baby. While her length didn't change, I'm not surprised - I TOLD you they measured her wrong last time! What baby grows 3 inches in a month? She was probably closer to 21 inches at 1-month-old. And her head circumference is nothing to worry about. She's on the curves, and the pediatrician said she'll likely move up the curves as she ages. Besides, she started out small.

And finally, before we exited the office, it was time for some vaccinations. We're splitting Cora's shots just as we do for James, so she had just 2 today: Prevnar and Hep B. She'll get Pentacel in a couple of weeks (that's the big 5-in-1 shot). She also had Rotateq today, the oral vaccine, which we wanted her to get before she starts daycare and is exposed to more germies. She was not a happy camper during any of it... It took the nurse a while to get the Rotateq in, as she kept fussin' and gagging and spitting (See? She really does get "spittin' mad"!), and she screamed during the shots. If I hadn't been holding it in, I bet her paci would have flown across the room she was so angry! Luckily, she calmed down as soon as I picked her up. And me? I wasn't even phased. Those shots were nothing compared to the drama of the IV earlier this month... "What's up Doc?"

No comments: