So, now that we're "experienced" parents (ha!), Jay and I have decided to go the baby led solids route with Cora. There is more information (and examples, and recipes) available about the practice these days (for example, the Adventures in Solid Food blog, KellyMom.com and BabyCenter.com, WholesomeBabyFood.com, and even Wiki). It works for all babies, but is especially well received by breastfed infants, as they are already experienced at controlling the pace and portion of their meal, and have already been exposed to many different flavors through the breastmilk. I admit, I was shocked when I watched the video of tiny little Buttercup (of the Adventures in Solid Food blog) eating slices of pear with no teeth, but I was also intrigued. Could Cora do this to? Would she be better about eating textures if we skip the purees? Will she learn to use a spoon earlier if we let her start feeding herself sooner?

Double-fisting those slippery bites:
Learning to eat solid food is hard work!
We have absolutely no idea how much she ate, but it probably wasn't much. I suppose we'll find out in her diaper tomorrow! We baked a whole, huge sweet potato, let it cool, then cut off the end for tonight (saving the rest for another meal, or three...). We peeled and quartered it (cutting it into the recommended "strip" form so she could grip them better). We ended up giving Cora 3 of the "slices". As you saw, she busted them to pieces immediately. I was pretty surprised to see her use her finger and thumb together a few times (we didn't know she could do that). And she didn't gag once, which was certainly a relief to me, even though I know it's likely to occur at some point as she learns to chew and swallow food. We knew she was done when she started hanging over the edge of her highchair and fussing. Easy enough cue, eh? Then she came right over to me to nurse (again, since I had just fed her before dinner). The next few months are going to be very interesting as we go through this adventure with her!
3 comments:
I love little Buttercup's blog! I found that through BabyCenter a few months ago and it helped convince me to give up baby food when feeding Will. He's always eaten so much better when he can do it himself. If it makes you feel any better, the only thing he has ever gagged on is a tiny piece of apple, and that was months ago.
When you get to green veggies, give her a sugar snap pea. Will still likes to squeeze them until the peas come out, then either eat the peas or throw them on the floor for the dogs. He loves to suck on the casing too.
Have fun! Hard to believe she's old enough for solids already.
Wow such a great approach. I'm just amazed of how much she is eating, her first time! I'm going that route too for number 2.
I'll have to keep this in mind! Hope it continues to be a success! Good job Cora.
Post a Comment