Oh dear. We're having some rough nights around here this week. I hope it's temporary, and I hope the reason is either teething, or just plain attitude. Or maybe she's hitting her 6-month growth spurt. I just hope she's not getting another ear infection (or something else). Cora has been a BEAR at bedtime for the past 3 nights. And through the night as well. I miss my good sleeper! Shoot, I don't mind getting up for a 3am feed (or whenever she wants to eat, if she wakes up hungry, even for multiple feeds - Baby Doll's gotta eat!). It's the fight to get her to STAY asleep after I unlatch her from her nursing sessions (yes, sessions - it's been taking me half a dozen attempts lately) that's getting to me. I KNOW she's no longer hungry. She falls asleep the second I let her relatch. She just wants me. Well, more specifically, she wants the comfort of the breast. She'll scream til my ears ring when I try to rock her or walk her to sleep instead of nurse her. And she does no better for Jay (perhaps worse, even, because she just wants her Mama). But you know what? I refuse to be a pacifier. After 2 hours of "nursing", I need a break. For sanity's sake. So last night, rather than give her what she wanted, I let her cry in her crib for a bit. Not too long, but long enough that my frustration slipped away and I regained perspective (she IS just a baby afterall - it's not her fault she's having trouble sleeping). When I scooped her back up, I kept her as far from the breast as I could, head up on my shoulder. She screamed and kicked and pinched me for another 10 minutes or so, but she finally gave in and passed out on my shoulder as I walked and swayed with her (to her bedtime music, turned up VERY loud). I can't even describe the relief of that eventual silence. Oi vey. Please let this be a phase.Thursday, December 9, 2010
LITTLE MISS MELTDOWN
Oh dear. We're having some rough nights around here this week. I hope it's temporary, and I hope the reason is either teething, or just plain attitude. Or maybe she's hitting her 6-month growth spurt. I just hope she's not getting another ear infection (or something else). Cora has been a BEAR at bedtime for the past 3 nights. And through the night as well. I miss my good sleeper! Shoot, I don't mind getting up for a 3am feed (or whenever she wants to eat, if she wakes up hungry, even for multiple feeds - Baby Doll's gotta eat!). It's the fight to get her to STAY asleep after I unlatch her from her nursing sessions (yes, sessions - it's been taking me half a dozen attempts lately) that's getting to me. I KNOW she's no longer hungry. She falls asleep the second I let her relatch. She just wants me. Well, more specifically, she wants the comfort of the breast. She'll scream til my ears ring when I try to rock her or walk her to sleep instead of nurse her. And she does no better for Jay (perhaps worse, even, because she just wants her Mama). But you know what? I refuse to be a pacifier. After 2 hours of "nursing", I need a break. For sanity's sake. So last night, rather than give her what she wanted, I let her cry in her crib for a bit. Not too long, but long enough that my frustration slipped away and I regained perspective (she IS just a baby afterall - it's not her fault she's having trouble sleeping). When I scooped her back up, I kept her as far from the breast as I could, head up on my shoulder. She screamed and kicked and pinched me for another 10 minutes or so, but she finally gave in and passed out on my shoulder as I walked and swayed with her (to her bedtime music, turned up VERY loud). I can't even describe the relief of that eventual silence. Oi vey. Please let this be a phase.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, Denise! I have had baby fever lately, and you just reminded why I don't want another baby. Thank you for that:) Hang in there, mama. It will all pass soon...but you know that.
Post a Comment