Wednesday, April 25, 2012

DUAL DENTIST APPT

This morning the kids went to the dentist. It was James' appointment, but I decided to take Cora along in the hopes that they'd give her mouth a once-over, a free little look-i-loo, like they did for James at his first appointment at 2-years-old. I figure this whole dental and well child exam business will be that much easier if I can manage to get the kids on the same schedule sooner rather than later. They were happy to squeeze her in. James went first, all by himself, and I didn't hear a peep out of him. When the hygienist came back out with him to get Cora, she said he was PERFECT. No fussing or fighting or whining or crying, and his teeth looked amazing. It's been a full year since he quit sucking his thumb, and the effects have already completely reversed themselves. He had a full cleaning (it took about 15 minutes or so), and he was thrilled to show me his "good boy prizes" and accompany Cora back to encourage her. Being her first appointment and all, they wanted me back there too. Poor Sissy. I knew she'd hate it, but it's for her own good. Though I honestly thought they'd just take a look and let her go. Instead, she got a full (hurried!) cleaning as well, with scraping and polishing and brushing. She HATED the little vacuum and water sprayer. Hated it. She kicked and screamed and cried for the entire 4-5 minutes it took the hygienist to complete the job, while I held both her hands down and attempted to wrangle her legs. All while singing our dorky "Gotta brush, gotta brush, gotta brush Brush BRUSH" song... And as soon as she sat up? Fine. Drama Queen... After that ordeal, the kids got their goody bags with new toothbrushes and toothpaste, a few more prizes, and then the doctor came out. She agreed that James was perfect (and I got to see for myself just what a big boy he is, fully cooperative and totally proud of himself for being so awesome), then peaked at a screaming Cora long enough to tell me that we need to drop the paci. STAT. Yeah, we'll get right on that... Considering she JUST started STTN again (as in, about 2 weeks ago, hence the reason we haven't blogged about it/jinxed ourselves yet), we are reluctant to change ANYTHING about our night-time routine. Grrr. Seriously though, we know we need to. She's already developed an overbite and slightly flared teeth. We were going to give her until 2-years-old, but we may just have to bite the bullet and do it one of these weekends. Cold turkey. She only has one or two left anyway. The rest being lost, or bitten through and thrown out. We shall see. Not tonight though. Especially since she's also dealing with another new set of teeth coming in. That's right, her 2nd year molars are on the brink of beginning the breakthrough process. Personally, I think we should wait until that trauma is over (or at least well progressed) before we add fuel to her fire...


(In case you can't tell, the waiting room of the "Smile Doctor's" office is a hit with the kids, with the slide being the biggest attention grabber.)


After the appointment, we decided to drop by Lowes and compare picnic table costs. We have big plans to buy a basic little table, doctor it up with some wild paint and varnish, and eat al fresco at least a few times before it gets "too dang hot" around here to do anything outside during daylight hours. While I browsed and texted photos and prices to Jay, the kids enjoyed bags of "fancy" gummies, a reward from their mama for being so good at the dentist. (P.S. I've now sold $150 worth of chocolate bars and gummies this year as fundraisers for daycare. That's a lot of candy. And the last 3 bags of gummies were purchased by me yesterday to get that dang box out of my office!)


No comments: