Saturday, April 14, 2012

PI RUN 2012

This morning I ran my first "Pi" run. Just over a 5K at 3.14 miles.
(And no, I have NO IDEA why they didn't run this event last month on 3/14)

Sandy, Me, and Sophie before the race:

This Pi run was actually the Run Thru WES, an annual ~5k run put on by the Castle Club and hosted by ERDC (or WES, as it is formerly known). We ran a loop around station (where we work) that involved going up 2 hills, around the goose pond, and past our new office building. It was a good race, but I definitely didn't train as well for it as I did for the 10K last month, because I was TIRED through most of it and kept running out of breath. So I walked a bit. But even so, I managed to beat what the McMillian Running Calculator predicted for me (31:41) by coming in at an unofficial 31:26, equivalent to 10:01/mile. So, about 30 seconds faster per mile than I ran in the 10K. Even with shin splints for the past month and a half, and the resulting reduced training and mileage, I improved! Hopefully that means with a lot of hard work this summer, I'll be running significantly faster and longer distances by fall.

The start of the race (yes, it was a small group, about 40-50 runners):

While us ladies raced, the men nursed injuries (plantar fasciitis for Jay and a bad back for Alex) and kept the kids entertained with mock races and rock climbing:

And guess what? Sophie got SECOND place! Way to go Sophie!!

The medal is really pretty, with the ERDC castle on front and a winged shoe on back. Leo was particularly fascinated by it. There was also a raffle, in which I won Girl Scout Cookies, so I didn't go home empty handed ;-)

No comments: