Monday, April 15, 2013

26.2 MILES IN 9 MONTHS

Nothing makes you want to find that next big race like completing a big race. Literally as soon as we were home from RNR NOLA, I was surfing the runner forums and racing sites searching for my next race. Another half? A trail race? Something longer? Perhaps even a full marathon? Yes, definitely in the game to go for a full marathon in 2014! I clicked around and read reviews and pondered the logistics and wondered whether it would be better to go bigger or smaller, closer to home or to an awesome new locale. I have had my top 10 nearby marathons (those within a 3 state radius...) listed on a little post-it note in my desk drawer for over a month now. Then I narrowed it down to 5 potential events. Then suddenly today registration opened for our local Mississippi Blues Marathon (which was in my top 5) with half-price registration for the first 500 registrants, and I was on the edge of my seat... Is this the one? It's inexpensive, it's small (unlike the 33,000 runners at Boston today, Jackson tops out at 3,500), and it's reported to have one of the best race medals and a great swag bag. Sure, it's hilly, but we don't mind hills when we train here in the hilly military park in the 'Burg. Sure, it's rained in past years and/or been really cold. It IS held in January, after all. Better than the heat and humidity of the Mississippi summer though. Sandy alerted me to the sale, posted it on our Facebook running group, and soon there was buzz from Sophie and Christina. And as I watched the registrant number climb over 200, then 250, then 300, I frantically tracked Jay down for his blessing to register. And there you have it. I'm officially running my first marathon in 9 months and I don't feel the least bit concerned about it. I have plenty of time to train, I'll be running with my buddies and running for fun (not for a time goal - most people don't set goals for their first marathon), I can sleep in my own bed, and I'll have my number one supporter and best friend at the finish line along with my little cheering squad - it will be awesome!

No comments: