Yesterday was school picture day. The kids picked their own clothes (and for some reason they wanted to take little monkeys with them to school). They wanted a practice photo taken on "the bridge", but then wouldn't stand still and look at the camera (Jay says this was shot #5, and he caught James mid-dance). All was well, if not a bit silly. But we like silly.
Then at 9:15 I get a call from James' teacher telling me that he's throwing up all over the place. I quickly walk down the hall and tell my admin I had to go (and she of course said "Yes, you have to go. Go!" - I'm so thankful for the flexibility and understanding at my work, we are very lucky), send an email to my boss so he knows what's going on, and head to the school. When I get there the entire school is out front posing for a group photo, so I sneak in the side door and find my boy curled into a chair, sadly watching the proceedings. He starts crying as soon as he sees me, upset that he threw up and isn't in the photos, and that he "doesn't feel good". Turns out he did take his solo photo, as well as a sibling photo with Cora, but then promptly threw up 3 times in quick succession before they could get him down off the photo table.
I took him home after running by redbox for some new movies to occupy his day, and set him up on the couch with a puke bowl.
He refused to eat anything (and had only eaten the breakfast cookie Jay gave him for breakfast, and a full cup of juice, since dinner the night before, which was a huge pancake and bacon meal). By noon he'd had a few ounces of Sprite (I was trying to help settle his tummy) and two tiny bites of bread. When I told him it was naptime he walked straight to his bed without arguing, even though Cora was still awake and eating her regular lunch, so I knew he wasn't feeling well. After getting Cora to sleep, I heard him get up at 1:30, crying and upset. That's when the diahrrea hit him. Once he was cleaned up, I went and laid in bed with him. At 2:30 he asked for more Sprite, so I gave him just a sip, and he immediately threw it up (along with the two bites of bread and the rest of the Sprite he'd already had). There was no sleeping at that point for him, and we had to strip his bed to the mattress. That caused Cora to wake up. He managed to avoid any further vomit or diahrrea for the rest of the afternoon, evening, and overnight, but developed a low grade fever while napping from 4:30-6:00 before dinner.
We thought maybe he was just warm from the nap (he's a hot sleeper), but he was warm again at bedtime. And again this morning. His fever has ranged from 99.3-101.0 all morning, and he's complaining about his legs and feet being tired/hurting. He first woke up with chapped lips and I started having Kawasaki flashbacks, but I think that was just due to dehydration from yesterday because they seem fine now. He's had 3 cups of Pedialyte/water this morning, a bowl of cereal with milk, and some crackers. He says he doesn't want lunch, but that he "feels fine", so we shall see how the afternoon goes. I'm tagging out with Jay at lunch. Speaking of which, Cora has requested "noodle soup" so off I go to cook it up!
He refused to eat anything (and had only eaten the breakfast cookie Jay gave him for breakfast, and a full cup of juice, since dinner the night before, which was a huge pancake and bacon meal). By noon he'd had a few ounces of Sprite (I was trying to help settle his tummy) and two tiny bites of bread. When I told him it was naptime he walked straight to his bed without arguing, even though Cora was still awake and eating her regular lunch, so I knew he wasn't feeling well. After getting Cora to sleep, I heard him get up at 1:30, crying and upset. That's when the diahrrea hit him. Once he was cleaned up, I went and laid in bed with him. At 2:30 he asked for more Sprite, so I gave him just a sip, and he immediately threw it up (along with the two bites of bread and the rest of the Sprite he'd already had). There was no sleeping at that point for him, and we had to strip his bed to the mattress. That caused Cora to wake up. He managed to avoid any further vomit or diahrrea for the rest of the afternoon, evening, and overnight, but developed a low grade fever while napping from 4:30-6:00 before dinner.
We thought maybe he was just warm from the nap (he's a hot sleeper), but he was warm again at bedtime. And again this morning. His fever has ranged from 99.3-101.0 all morning, and he's complaining about his legs and feet being tired/hurting. He first woke up with chapped lips and I started having Kawasaki flashbacks, but I think that was just due to dehydration from yesterday because they seem fine now. He's had 3 cups of Pedialyte/water this morning, a bowl of cereal with milk, and some crackers. He says he doesn't want lunch, but that he "feels fine", so we shall see how the afternoon goes. I'm tagging out with Jay at lunch. Speaking of which, Cora has requested "noodle soup" so off I go to cook it up!
![]() |
| Day 2 of doing nothing except watch movies has Sissy beyond bored. We're going to send her to school tomorrow even if James is still stuck at home so she doesn't go too stir crazy. |





1 comment:
Poor James. Hope he is feeling better today!
Post a Comment