Saturday, February 28, 2015

WILDLIFE & OUTDOOR EXPO

The Wildlife and Outdoor Expo took place today (with free admission!) at the Vicksburg Convention Center, and since soccer games were cancelled due to flooded fields (BOO!!), we had time to go check it out.
 First stop was the falconry/hawking show, for which the kids lasted about 20 minutes. The Harris's hawks were gorgeous, but the plethora of lecture and lack of action did not impress the kids, though I learned a few things and would have been happy to sit through the full hour.
 Cora shot a BB gun for the first time, and didn't like it. She did manage to hit the turkey right in the neck though...
James, on the other hand, highly enjoyed his first experience with a real gun. He grazed the turkey's beak with his shot. I'm just hoping he doesn't ask for a BB gun for Christmas next year...
 So much sibling love today (seriously, not being sarcastic) and boy does it make me smile!
 Now THIS she liked... shooting plastic fish in a giant barrel with a bow and "arrow" (suction cup)
 I always forget that going to these type of events you're VERY likely to bump into lots of people that you know! Small town, few activities. We saw the Jungs, the Beanes, the Kennedys, the Hopkins, and others. Here James is waiting his turn to shoot the bow with Jase, Bridger, and Jacob.
 On second thought, I think it's much more likely that he'll ask for one of THESE for Christmas. He's been asking for a bow ever since he started playing Minecraft...
 Checking out one of our coworkers collection... (with Isaac next to James)
tortoise shells, fish jaws, sharks in jars, gar skeletons...
 I was quite pleased at how many of these skins the kids identified correctly!
 Maybe when we're debt free I'll finally get the ATV I've wanted since we moved here 8 years ago... Of course, I want one a lot smaller and less fancy than this one!
 Testing out some camping hammocks. Someday when they're older, maybe we'll commandeer the tent and let them sleep in the trees outside...

No comments: