As I mentioned last month at our first meeting, the theme for this semester's Junior FIRST Lego League creation is recycling, so today the group went on a field trip to our local water treatment plant to get some ideas. The kids were bummed not to get to play with the giant bin of Legos, but I think they found the field trip interesting (and I know us parents, who use Fisher Ferry Water, like it or not, were interested to get behind the scenes).
Playing at their school playground for a bit before going across the street to the facility
Starting where the water comes up out of the ground
Listening to the water rushing down the center pipe of the tower. But not really. (They said they couldn't hear anything.)
Don't open that hatch...
We asked to see water samples from the different steps. This was straight out of the aquifer. I was surprised to learn that the water comes out at 104 degrees. For some reason, both Jay and I thought it would be cold... A few of the adults and kids tasted it, but we declined.
Instead, they have to cool it (before they treat it). The kids were fascinated most (of course) by the ice-covered pipe...
Here you can see the ozonated and "straight from the aquifer" water samples. We didn't pull any of the post-treatment (chemically treated) water. The guy who led our tour told us the taste of the ozonated-only water is better than the chemically-treated final product.











No comments:
Post a Comment