Tonight I attended the first semi-annual Grapes and Grains at
Martin's at Midtown, along with Christina and two of our good running buddies, Amy and Francine. The idea was to have the Martin's two beverage reps compete against each other (wine vs. beer) for the best pairing across four courses, designed by John and Lisa. Each food item was paired with one beer and one wine (so it was a lengthy Girls Night out as we sat around for a long while chatting after the meal in order to let our heads and tummies settle before driving home). We all voted at the end, and it was a near tie, but the brews technically won. It was a really fun evening and I hope I can attend the next one (and that Jay can come along)!
 |
| The first of four pairings, and my third favorite. I picked the Pale Ale as the better pair to the spicy shrimp tacos. The next pairing, with the surprisingly yummy sausage and squash dish (it looked like mush to me, but it wasn't, and the flavors were pretty incredible together), also won with the beer in my opinion. The Lazy Magnolia 'Me and the Dev Ale' was SO GOOD that I took Jay back the next day for lunch so we could fill a growler... |
 |
| This third pairing was the best of the night! I wasn't sure I'd like the lamb (let alone the balsamic onions - don't worry mom, I wasn't rude and I didn't pick them off), but it was so good on Lisa's homemade slider with the chimichurri (us ladies actually debated stealing the carafe of the extra sauce to take home...) It was a draw between the Delas Cotes du Rhone and Lagunitas Brown Shugga, and it really was perfect with both. I chose the wine only because WOW - it was good. |
 |
| The last pairing was a weird one all around... the avocado cream was NOT dessert, in my opinion... and Martin's hosts one of THE BEST dessert makers in town (Lisa's sister, Shel), so I was pretty bummed not to find chocolate and stout on the menu. Maybe next time... The Hoegaarden was good enough (though not one of my favorite beers) and the Brandy Old Fashioned was fun (the beverage rep lit the orange peel on fire as he tossed it into each glass, so the aroma was incredible), but neither could win for me with avocado and lime... |
No comments:
Post a Comment