Sunday, October 30, 2016

A BIRD IN THE HAND...

 We went out the front door to take pictures of the kids' jack-o-lanterns and later discovered that it's now the time of year when we can't use the front door after dark. We have a wren that roosts in our wreaths during the fall and winter, and apparently it flew in unseen as we scooted out for photos, because once James was tucked back in his bed to read himself to sleep he called me down the hall with a "Mama, there's a bird in my room!" So we quickly shut his bedroom door to prevent it getting loose in the house, and the kids sat on the floor and watched as I jumped on the beds and over toys to catch the rudely awoken (and thus pretty confused) Carolina Wren. Once I had it in hand, I showed them how to properly hold a songbird and let them inspect it, then walked it outside. Before I could release it though, both kids wanted to pet it's head, then Cora asked for a turn to hold it. After a quick explanation and a reminder to be gentle, she proudly held that bird while I snapped a couple photos. And then it flew off. And I showed the kids the other Carolina Wren that was roosting in the corner of the carport above our heads. Fun end to the evening!

No comments: