Corps Day 2016!
The weather was perfect, the attendance was high, and the activities were plenty!
![]() |
| I sponsored Lori, and then she beat me... |
I completed my first (unofficial) duathlon by running the Volks March 5k trail run (which was extremely hilly and difficult due to the Colonel's design...) and then riding all the roads on station with the other cyclists that signed up for the 7 mile "leisurely" cycling event. They teased me about my "townie", but then wanted mine and Jay's bikes front and center for our photo op, so they knew they were pretty (even if they performed poorly on the hills... oh wait, maybe that was just me that performed poorly on the hills... the MANY hills...). My quads were trashed after all that! I took 4th female (3rd in my age group) and I doubt I earned any points for our lab (EL) in the Commander's Cup challenge, but at least I tried. I went out conservatively and ran two great miles (consistent 9:40 pace, which is fast for me on hilly, gravely trails), passing the two ladies in front of me during the second mile, but had to walk a few of the steeper hills on the way back during the last mile (it was an out-and-back course, and the return was harder) and got passed by three different ladies. There were no awards for the bike ride (since it was a "leisure ride"), but if there had been, I'd have won overall female (since I was the only female!)
![]() |
| My view for the entirety of the ride, just trying to catch up... |
I didn't take any other photos during the day, but I'm sure you can picture Jay hobnobbing with the bigwigs, cheering on our ragball team, enjoying a little Pabst, and indulging in a few desserts and bowls of chili from the bake-off and chili cook-off. Next year I'm going to enter both those events. Why not? Everyone loves the red velvet cupcakes and my take on cream cheese chicken chili would stand out among the beef/sausage/venison versions served this year. It was a fun day and I'm grateful for the morale boost this event provides my coworkers each year!



1 comment:
Did you or Jay have child seats that went on your bikes? Kinda interested in one for Rosie, but not sure where to start. I find you to be an Oracle about such things.
Post a Comment