Mom and Cora (and Hazel and Adler and Jase!) joined me for the 2016 Over the River Run this morning. The weather was perfect! My hip was not. And I was undertrained (our group has been doing a track workout once a week since the middle of summer, but 4 x 400s is not enough to really build speed - we spend more of our time doing bodyweight exercises between laps). But I had fun and am so glad I ran it, even if it might not have been the smartest idea (recovery-wise, for that hip).
I ran on one of 5 USACE teams this year (our team was 3rd in the line-up as far as our anticipated finish times, and we ended up taking 3rd place!) Can you find me in the sea of red?
The downhill start is always the best part. Adrenaline + DOWN hill = fancy-free flying.
The downhill start is always the best part. Adrenaline + DOWN hill = fancy-free flying.
The finish back up that hill is not nearly as exciting... I ran a great first 2 miles, then I got tired. By mile 3 my quads were shaking (even though I'd slowed down). By mile 4 my hip started acting up (it had been ok during my warmup, probably due to a dose of ibuprofen). I walked a lot of mile 4... The last mile was ok, but there was that uphill... luckily I had Cora and mom cheering for me at the top of the hill to keep me moving!
So I finished almost exactly 3 minutes slower than last year (when Christina and I paced each other for the majority of the race, and I was well trained for short, fast races). I ended up taking 3rd in the team category and 3rd place in my age group (but only because Christina wasn't there and Kristi had a hamstring injury and had to turn back after the first mile).
I loved having my mom at a race for the first time since high school track - thank you for coming out and supporting me mom! And my friends Ashley and Cari appreciated her being there too, since she acted as den mother :-)






No comments:
Post a Comment