Sunday, November 20, 2016

COLD, HARD, LONG RUN

I had to break out my running jacket, gloves, and ear-warmer for my 30-degree 18-miler this morning. The cold didn't bother me, but I'll never do a long run after a race again... it was hard from the start (my quads were sore from yesterday's hills and speedwork), and only got worse as the miles piled on. I felt pretty good between miles 3 and 7 (warmed up enough that my plantar fasciitis was no longer burning strongly and before my legs started to feel like lead weights), but as I crested a hill out of the cemetery (WAY out on the far side of the military park) and realized I was suddenly exhausted and not even halfway done, I started to get down on myself for letting myself get so out of shape. The rest of the run was super slow (as in, I ran at a VERY slow pace - I didn't even walk that much, I just trudged along at an 10:30 pace, practically shuffling my feet and trying not to look up at all the hills). Ashley and Lee pushed ahead at an easy 9:30 pace, but then had to keep stopping and coming back for me (which, if you've ever been at the back of the pack, you know is a very sucky feeling). When Lee finished her 17 (she'd started earlier than Ashley and I) and headed home, I tried to convince Ashley to head out for her last 2 solo so she could run a comfortable pace (especially since she only needed 15 total and could have been done half an hour ago...), but she stuck with me. I was glad for the company because I likely ran a lot more of the south loop with her than I would have solo (still very slow, but at least I ran), and she ended up with 17 herself (just imagine how many times she had to come back to get me to hit 17 miles at the point that I hit 16 miles...) After she headed home I still had 2 more to do alone. By that point, I had a bad ache behind my knee, so I just resolved to get the miles done, no matter how slow I went. (Had that ache turned into a pain, I'd have just stopped, but marathon training is supposed to hurt a little, unfortunately.) I'm glad I finished the run (training on tired legs is very beneficial for marathon day), but I'm very thankful that next weekend's 20-miler will be on the trails (softer on the joints, plenty of excuses to walk hills, and ultra fare available for fuel at aid stations). And I should have some good company out there, since Lee and Mack and Jay are all running. Onward and upward - marathon training is supposed to be hard. It's ok that this weekend's long run sucked. Hopefully next weekend's will be the opposite, as it tends to go in running...

No comments: