Saturday, November 19, 2016

TURKEY TROT 2016

 This morning the kids and I ran the Turkey Trot (5K for me, 1-mile Fun Run for them) in support of Jacob's Ladder (a local school for special needs children and young adults). It was COLD, but it was a good course (incorporating Glenwood Circle and downtown - only a couple big hills) and there were a lot of our friends there, which always makes races extra fun. And my leggings made the race extra fun. (All the female SCA kids/volunteers around the course went crazy for the unicorn...) And the bouncy house made the race EXTRA fun for the kids. 
 The kids stayed in the van reading books with Gramma while I warmed up and raced, then came out to enjoy the festivities. I ran a good race (not a great race, and not a PR by any means, but a good pace for my current fitness level - around an 8:40/mile average, finishing in 27:00 flat on a slightly long 5K course). It was a small event (just 66 runners), so I took first in my age group (Ashley took overall female with an amazing 6:44 average pace!)
Cora, Olivia, Hazel, Grant, and James
Even though I warned the kids to hold back and not chase Adler (who can run as fast as his mama for a mile!), they took off like roadrunners at the start. I caught James quickly, who briefly complained of a side stitch as he walked up the bridge, but told him I had to leave him to chase down Cora so I could make sure she stayed safe and asked him to just do his best, even if he needed to walk the whole thing. At the time, I didn't realize the Fun Run was a loop course and not the usual out-and-back that races usually do for 1-mile events... As such, I didn't see him again until the finish. Luckily, there was a relatively large group of kids running (most of whom we knew) and a few parents in tow, so I knew he would be safe. I never did catch Cora, as she spent her race chasing Hazel (who took overall female) and the hilly course had me out of breath and wishing I just waited at the finish line to cheer them in... (Yes, they are definitely old enough to run solo now, and I think they did better with that than when I run with them side-by-side, since at all previous races they've wanted to hold my hand or be carried...)
   Cora ran a 9:50 (perhaps her fastest mile ever?) and James ran a 12:something. He was very proud of himself when he finished (and he finished strong with great form!) and told me that he didn't whine at all. He also told me that he wants to do more races now because he likes running with his friends and he wants to practice so he can get faster. I told him I'd be happy to run with him, so we'll see where it goes. Cora took first in her age group (female 6-7) and James took second in his (male 6-7). You should have heard her scream for him when they called his name - she was more excited for him than she was for herself and it was SO SWEET! Those proud smiles say it all...
So, all in all, a very fun morning for everyone (I know Gramma liked watching her grandkids race, even though it was cold standing out there) and now we have some cute little ceramic turkeys and a ceramic Mississippi state to hang on our Christmas tree (hand crafted and painted by the students of Jacob's Ladder). It was a great way to kick off the holiday week!

No comments: