That's what 9-year-old boys are made of!
James' birthday started out with presents, followed by two soccer games (Cora's Rec game in Bovina, his round robin Rec+ in Clinton), dropping Cora off at the Kennedys and picking up Will (then Adler, then Coltin - I bet that was a sight in my van - Jay did the round up so we could get the party rolling, since we were running later than planned due to last minute soccer schedule changes), and ending with a sleepover with his 3 favorite friends.
The Rec+ team has over 15 players, but not everyone attends every tournament. Their neon socks are the color "Volt", so they've named themselves the VSO Volts!
Once the party commenced, the boys started off on their handheld Switches, but eventually we convinced them to put a set up on the big screen. They played games, watched a movie (Percy Jackson), ate dinner (I decided to try and accomodate everyone's wishes. so we created a buffet and let them have whatever they wanted), played more games, talked, read, and eventually crashed around 1:00am (from what I hear... I crashed at 10:00pm and left Jay to supervise - not that they needed supervision - they were so well behaved and polite and even somewhat quiet - it was actually our goal to just give them space downstairs to do as they wished and it worked out perfectly).
(We figured the boys would crash on the couch and blow-up mattress, but we found them all back in James' room by midnight - Coltin in the top bunk, James in his, and Will and Adler tucked into sleeping bags on the floor).
(Cora was SO worried that the boys would get into her stuff... I promised her they'd be playing video games and would have no interest in her Calico Critters, but she didn't believe me...)
We had late night birthday cake (9:00pm maybe?) and the boys made me smile big with their willingness to sing to James and pose for a fun photo (I tried hard not to take many during the night because I really did want to just let them be)!
(Little bit sunburned from all the time on soccer fields today, but dang it if that isn't the cutest little happy smile - he really enjoyed his day!)
Obviously the boys slept in (some longer than others). Will was up first, with James close behind him, so they jumped on their Switches to battle it out in MarioKart while Jay and I prepped a big breakfast (no donuts this time - they requested pancakes and bacon and fresh fruit), then we sent them outside into the sunshine to play laser tag until their mamas showed up.
This was seriously the easiest birthday party we have done yet. James opted for the sleepover instead of a traditional party so that he could put the extra funds towards his Nintendo Switch. I think it was a smart move and I know he had the best time with these guys. Thank y'all for sharing your sweet boys with us - we'll definitely have to do it again!




















No comments:
Post a Comment