Monday, June 6, 2011

POOPIN' IN DA POTTY

After James pees in the potty, he akways yells "I did it!" Then we get him down, dry him off, pull his undies up and let him flush, wash his hands, and give him an M&M. To get to this point, we've been regularly putting him up there (when he asks to go potty, if he uses either the word pee-pee or poop, or every 30-40 minutes, depending on when he last went). The 3-day bootcamp method was great for getting him to understand the physical signs of his body telling him when he needed to go, but because he's 2-years-old, he gets distracted SO easily, that we're finding it to be much safer to just take him regularly than to always wait for him to tell us. Because sometimes he forgets.
(I snuck this photo when he wasn't looking - I haven't wanted to disturb him during this whole training process!)

After swim lessons tonight, as I was doing a deck-change for him, he told me "pee pee potty", so we rushed off to the bathroom instead, where he proceeded to pee a TON while sitting on his new foldable travel potty seat. I was extremely impressed. Not that he could hold that much pee, but that he'd held it all through swim class and saved it for the potty. GOOD boy James! And when we got home (we made a stop at Wendy's for a Frosty for Jay, since the poor guy is on a liquid diet until he has his CT scan tomorrow), I took him again, and stayed in the room with him while he read his book. All of a sudden I started smelling that familiar odor... and when I asked James if he was "All done?" he of course yelled "I did it!" and tried to leap off the potty. As I got him down, I was extremely surprised (and EXCITED) to see that he'd pooped in the potty. Oh yes folks, this is potty training at it's FINEST! Way to go buddy, we sure are proud of you!

As a reward for "poopin' in da potty", we gave James a present. A "Tow-mater" flashlight. I told him he could use it to come find Mama and Daddy in the night if he needed to pee-pee or poop. We'll see if it works. He's sleeping with it tonight...

No comments: