Tuesday, March 3, 2015

DEAR JAMES, ON YOUR 6TH BIRTHDAY

Dear James,
 
Today is your 6th birthday. While last year I celebrated your seemingly overnight jump to the Big 5.0 with an accompanying mourning for the passing of your "little years" (not because I didn't want you to grow up... I just think 5 is a major milestone for mamas, especially their first born, realizing how far they've come and wishing they could have just a little more time with you in that baby/toddler/preschooler phase that simply can't be duplicated), this year I'm celebrating your birthday with nothing but pride and joy and a positive outlook for what I know your future will hold. OK, maybe a bit of nostalgia too. I won't lie. But man, have you ever had a wonderful year!
 
Your 6th year brought out your desire to KNOW ALL THE THINGS more than ever before, your wit and sense of humor have grown exponentially, and the increased degree of your sensitivity and, likewise, compassion for others has surprised us (and believe me, we thought we already knew your sensitive and loving and snuggly self). You have a question and an answer for everything. If you don't know, and mama or daddy don't have a quick (or valid, in your eyes) response, you demand that we look it up and find out. Your curiosity about the world around you (especially the natural world, including all things scientific) is fun for all of us, and you are quick to share your love of animals and the environment with anyone who will listen. You're a collecter, just like your daddy. Things you find on our nature walks fascinate you and I often find them later, stuffed into pockets or boxes or placed on a shelf in your room. (Thus, we've decided to let you start adding to our little "cabinet of curiosities" on display in the living room, and you are quite pleased.) You like to know how things work (you still ask "Why?" pretty often, and I think you'd take all sorts of things apart around the house if you thought you wouldn't get in trouble... in fact, I'm sure by next year your birthday update will include laments about the many pieces of things in your room in various states of construction). You love to build, and following (written) directions is sometimes easier for you than it is for mama (just like your memory is often better than mine). However, spoken directions are still not your strong suit... Mama and daddy still have to direct you through your morning and evening chores one small item at a time, lest you get distracted or forget the next step or simply stop partway through your tasks because you thought you were done after the first (even though you still have to put on your other shoe and pack your school snack). Even if directions aren't your thing though, and it seems you aren't listening, we know that's not the case... We KNOW you hear us because even when we have quiet (theoretically private) discussions while you're busy doing something in another room, you will pipe in with your own opinion (unsolicited). That's cool buddy, but we're on to you... Often when you jump into our conversations it's to add humor and wit (and your use of catch phrases and movie lines is always spot-on), and you literally have us laughing out loud multiple times per day. You are so going to be the class clown... if you aren't already... Nothing makes you happier than making someone else smile and laugh. And if your mama or daddy or sissy are not smiling and laughing, you will often go to great lengths to try and turn our mood around. When Cora cries about getting her hair brushed in the morning, you stand in front of her, holding her hands, and tell her she looks pretty. When she gets in trouble, you jump to her defense (unless she's in trouble for doing something naughty to you, of course). When she's pouting or grumpy, you dance crazy and make silly noises and sing ridiculous songs to get her out of her funk. Physical comedy is your new thing, and I'll admit that I find myself laughing even when I should be telling you to be careful... You seriously are THE BEST big brother and we know you are a wonderful friend to many of your school buddies as well.

Speaking of school, this year has brought the start of teasing and bullying (not by you, but to you), in a very mild form and very sporadically (usually just a mention of "so and so wouldn't play with me today" or "so and so called me a name"), but still... your sensitivity causes you to worry over these things and we're just so thankful that you talk to us about it. We reassure you that nobody is perfect, not you or anyone else, and that everyone has bad days or sometimes says things that are mean (and that they don't really mean them), but that doesn't make them true. You are learning to walk away and tell friends that you don't have to put up with their attitude or play with them if they aren't deserving of your time and attention. You are learning to "be the bigger person". We know it's hard not to retort (or hit back, in the case of your sissy), and we are extremely proud of you for learning this lesson so early in life. It will serve you well. We are careful to remind you every day, often at bedtime, that you have a LOT of amazing qualities that you should be proud of, and we enumerate them to you, because we are so very proud of you. Nothing makes you happier than hugs and kisses and reassurances that you are LOVED and VALUED by us all. You are, Bub Bubs, you really are. You are smart and funny and sweet: three qualities that you should be extremely proud of. Thank you for being such an amazing kid. And for not giving up the hugs and kisses and lap snuggles yet (and I hope you never outgrow them, just like you STILL promise to always be my baby boy)!
 
6-year-old big boy stats and milestones of the past year:
 
almost 48 lbs and 45.5"
(you'll be tall enough for most rides at Disneyworld this summer)

full-fledged reader
(you can sound out anything and read books now!)

swimmer and underwater diver
(but still not a fan of waterslides or deep water jumps)

all A's (and often 100% scores on tests),
except in Bible (a "listening and focusing" grade)

finally being allowed to play video games
(and loving every second of it!)

Sweet Baby James, you fill a place in my heart that nobody else could and I'm so grateful to be greeted with one of your many smiles each day. I love you, I love you, I looooove you!

1 comment:

Giri said...

This is best letter I have ever read. Happy Birthday James - Sharmila and Giri