Saturday, November 17, 2012

WE WOULDN'T SURVIVE THE APOCALYPSE...

We'll give a thorough race recap once we get the photos back from our disposable waterproof camera (to better tell the tale of the MANY zombies and the obstacles), but for now we'll just report that despite our best training efforts and attempts at dodging the brain-starved zombies, we completed the 5K chase race in the league of the undead (AKA we lost all our flags). Luckily, even the undead were awarded finisher's medals. In quick summary, it was probably the most intense speed workout I've ever done (thank goodness I'd been running fartleks during my weekly speedwork sessions or I wouldn't have survived the first quarter mile!) and probably the longest I've ever had that much adrenaline pumping through my body. I'm not kidding. We finished in around 45 minutes (we both lost our chip timers in the chaos, so that was our best guess based on clock time), a bit battered and bruised (especially Jay), and extremely sore and exhausted from all the sprinting (and rolling, leaping, and constant vigilance). I have no idea what our actual mileage was, since rather than following the course we often veered off on side trails searching for health packs (the only ones we came across were empty, unfortunately), not to mention all the swerving in zombie avoidance, but I'm certain we passed the 5K mark by at least a half mile. All in all, it was a really fun experience, the race was extremely well organized, and the race swag was great (zombie tech shirts and medals with severed hands - you just can't go wrong!)

Before and After:

(Full disclosure: While we had a great time and would recommend this race series to friends, we thought that Warrior Dash was much more our style. Obstacles are fun and challenging. Running in terror from rage zombies for 3 miles to fight for your life - I mean flags - was a little more intense than we bargained for. I suppose if we didn't care about our lives/flags it would have been like any other trail race, but in our attempts to finish alive we twisted our bodies as we jumped out of reach and sprinted until our lungs burned and slammed into the ground (Jay) and rolled into a brier patch (Jay again) and scraped the bushes and trees along the edge of the trail over and over. Therefore, we sincerely hope that if the zombie apocalypse ever occurs, the zombies are the slow ambling kind kin to The Walking Dead. Rage Zombies are fast and they gang up on live bait, and we now fear that we wouldn't survive that situation based on today's outcome...)

No comments: