Monday, August 1, 2011

ALL ABOUT CORA: 13.5-MONTHS-OLD

This girl of ours is impressing us daily. And since I didn't do a 13-month post, I figured I might as well do a 13.5-month post. That should get us through to 15-months, right?

Her skill set is growing at a rapid rate. Really. We had forgotten how fast things go once they hit 13-months... She's walking faster every day and becoming more and more agile (she can walk up and down stairs while holding onto one of our hands or the rail, she can spin on a dime, she slides off the couch and beds with ease, she jumps/bounces high while holding onto her crib rail, and she can get herself up off the ground by squatting without even using her hands for assistance). She knows where things go (for example, she knows where to find her shoes, she puts her baby doll in her cradle, she understands that the phone goes to your ear and the toothbrush goes in your mouth, and she puts books back on the bookshelf). She follows simple commands (such as "Take your shoes to Daddy", "Hand Mama your cup", "Find the ball", "Put your baby in her cradle", and "Don't touch the trash can"). She still loves to clap and dance, and will break into it the second you start singing to her, especially if it's the "Happy and you know it" song. She has over a dozen words/phrases already (car - which was her first word way back when, though she never really says it anymore, Mama - often said in a whine and with a cajun feel to it "Maman!", Dada or "Da-gu", uh-oh, whoa, go, Cora, hello - usually said while 'answering' a phone, bye-bye - said while waving, up - when she wants to be picked up of course, mine - she learned that one from James perfectly!, thank you - sounds like "kane-ku" and she even uses it correctly!, I got it - another phrase copied from James and while she doesn't say it clearly we know what she's saying, boop and poop - which she repeats whenever one of us says them), and ball (her latest word, which she says surprisingly clearly). I guess she tricked us with all those months of silence. She may not have been a babbler, but she's definitely going to be a talker!

She is down to one bottle per day at daycare (right after lunch/before naptime) and is taking two sippy cups of coconut milk. We used the last of my freezer stash on Friday, and I only had enough breastmilk for one bottle this morning, so there you have it. I refuse to put coconut milk in a bottle at this point, so she's moving up. I'm still pumping twice/day at work, so I'm still getting enough for one full bottle each day. Next week she moves up to the K1 room at daycare though, where bottles are not "allowed". We'll see what happens... She always holds her own bottle at daycare anyway (and has since she was really little, like around 5 months), so I wouldn't doubt her new teacher will let her drink from a bottle at lunch for a week or so while she transitions. We're not stressing over the transition from bottle to sippy this time though. Not like we did with James (Is he still getting enough milk? Is he staying hydrated? Is he getting enough calories every day?) She's not going cold-turkey, so she'll get used to it. She's getting to be a big girl already...

She's gaining again now that she's feeling better, but isn't up much. The home scale put her at 19.6 lbs tonight.

No comments: