I found this idea (from Pinterest - where else?) to create a Color Scavenger Hunt for the kids. All I had to do was use a couple of old egg cartons (which we hang onto for just such a project), rainbow-colored construction paper, and some glue. The kids (especially James) were pretty excited about this outside adventure.
First things first: explaining the "rules" to the kids (that we were hunting for colors, anywhere we could find them, to match the squares in our cartons)...

...and they're off!

James was SO SERIOUS about finding his colors!

Collecting pink flowers and brown leaves and yellow oak tailings and green leaves and white flowers and blue berries and red leaves and black rocks...



We found a green inchworm. James wasn't interested in touching it, but Cora let it crawl all the way up her arm without flinching:

We saw other animals too. I caught a skink to show the kids, and James spotted one of our resident Barred Owls (we have a pair that nests in our yard every year) even before I did (saying "Look up in the tree! It's a owl! Right there!"). Pretty thing was enjoying a mousy meal up above our heads:

Just because she's beautiful (runny nose and all):

James is SUCH a sweet big brother. He really is. Early on in the game he was getting frustrated because Cora was moving slow and kept asking to be held (and he wanted my attention too, obviously), so I explained to him that he is a big boy now and Cora is still a little girl, and that she needs our help to have fun doing projects. Well, my words sank in, because multiple times afterwards I caught him taking her hand and saying things like "Here Sissy, this is a orange pumpkin. It goes right here." and "Come on Co-wah, I help you." and "Let's go together and find colors." Makes a mama proud I tell ya!

We will absolutely be doing this game again. Probably inside the house too. James keeps asking about it, and was SO excited to come inside and show his Daddy all his colors. Success!
No comments:
Post a Comment