Saturday, May 30, 2015

DELTA BREWS 2ND ANNUAL PIG ROAST

The trail half I'd been training for over the past couple of months ended up getting cancelled at the last minute yesterday (due to all the recent rain, which flooded trails, causing the park to close them to traffic to maintain their integrity), but luckily I hadn't registered yet (since their reschedule date will fall at the start of our Disney trip). Instead, I ran with friends at the military park, then Jay and I got a bunch of housework AND yardwork done, before heading over to the Martin's house for Delta Brews 2nd Annual "Pair with a Pig" (and "Welcome back to the 'Burg" party for Sandy and Barrett, recently returned from 6 months in DC). The party was as great as last year: enough meat that most people took home trays of leftovers (we're making pork tacos to start with!), plenty of sides and desserts, and 7 different homebrews to sample. The kids behaved quite well (James mostly played his Kindle, and Cora mostly played with Lauren), so we stayed past their bedtime until 9:00pm (Jay stayed until 11:00pm, but the kids and I drove separately so we could get to bed earlier). I hope the group keeps up this tradition, as it's become one of my favorite parties of the year!

The pig pickup
Heating up the coals in the "pit"
Gettin' cookin'
Jay and the guys transfer the pig to the carving table
John and Lisa Martin start cuttin' it up
Carey, Nick (pet care extraordinaire!), Jay, and Zack
Lauren and Cora, chillin' out in the sunroom
You can always spot the beer tent by the crowd size...
James escaped Cora for a while and "hid" near some random adults he doesn't know... (and John and Lisa)
Feeding Trixie some ice and enjoying some blueberry cobbler
Shortly after this (and following  multiple other wake-ups to Cora and myself by his flailing arms and legs and head), I made a pallet for him on the floor beside us (though I still didn't sleep well - bad night of insomnia for some reason). Jay slept downstairs in the kids' rooms once he got home, knowing the kids would be upstairs snuggling with me (my deal with Cora to get her to leave the party quietly).

No comments: