Vacation is just around the corner and the kids are getting excited and asking a lot of questions, so we decided to make paper chains to count down the days to help them understand how long 2 weeks is.
We rounded up some colored construction paper and the kids set about cutting 14 strips (with the scary adult-sized scissors since I couldn't find the kid safety scissors... and I even walked up the driveway to take the trash out and left them unsupervised - thank goodness they were "super very careful" as promised)
Next was a quick lesson on how to tape the ends together and hook the rings.
I really loved their finished products. James took longer because he was so meticulous (AKA OCD) about cutting his strips in similar widths and carefully lining up edges to tape. Cora's chain was a bit more ecclectic, especially since she rushed to beat James (unnecessarily) because she always wants to "win" at everything lately, and we had to reattach some tape that was applied haphazardly with buttery homemade popcorn fingers (double craft afternoon! - we've been making homemade popcorn for a couple months and we'll never go back to pre-packaged again).
After I snapped their finish photo, we took the paper chains to their rooms so they could hang them up. We'll take one ring off each night before bed and before we know it we'll be heading west!



No comments:
Post a Comment