Tuesday, January 11, 2011

MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO

This is the first installment of what I'm going to call "Monkey See, Monkey Do". Because James adores and admires his Daddy and wants to do things just as he does, he has lately been copying Jay more and more, and I think it's worth recording. Especially the silly things.

So, Jay has this habit of picking up trash and putting it in his pocket. He's been doing this for as long as I've known him. It used to only occur when we were out hiking or something, and there was no trashcan in sight. But now, he even does it at home. (I have learned to check ALL of Jay's pockets before I wash the laundry) Apparently, as they were leaving the house this morning, James found a small piece of trash, went to hand it to Jay (we trained him long ago to hand us trash, rather than eat it, of course - a very important lesson for a baby), then second-guessed himself and stuck it in his pocket instead. Monkey see, monkey do.

Also, after dinner last night, Jay was putting dirty dishes into the dishwasher and I asked him if he wanted to do some mundane task (I forget what, exactly). I believe I said "Who wants to _____?" (because asking, even when he knows he doesn't have the option of saying no, is nicer than telling him to do something, right?) He immediately broke out his silly Leprechaun dance and started singing "I do, I do, I do". Well, James watched this for a second, then, while still secured to his booster seat, started flailing his arms and swinging his body around and sang "I do, I do, I do". Monkey see, monkey do.

No comments: