Wednesday, April 13, 2011

FIGURES...

It just figures that RIGHT after I post about how I've never had to deal with thrush or mastitis or plugged ducts, we get hit with it. As I mentioned on Monday, Cora's 2-month battle with ear infections and the required antibiotics finally caught up to her over the weekend, and she developed a wicked case of thrush. And then she passed it to me, even though I tried to fend it off. And it hurts. Luckily, I know a few mamas who have dealt with thrush, so I was able to get some great advice last night (many thanks to Sophie and kellymom.com). I'm hoping that diligence will cure us quickly, so I can avoid a deeper infection and the need for meds.

To treat Cora, all I have to do it dose her with oral Nystatin 4 times a day. And sterilize all her pacifiers. And her bottles. And my pump parts. Constantly.

To treat myself, it's applications of miconazole 4 times a day. Constant changing of the nursing pads. Constant hand washing (especially after pumping/nursing and diaper changes). Washing my nursing bras in hot water with bleach and drying them on high.

Oh, and having both of us increase our intake of probiotics is suppose to help too. Since we both eat yogurt every day as is, this means buying acidophilis pills that we can open and sprinkle onto other foods. Keep your fingers crossed for us. We have to keep this up for at least 2 weeks, even if the symptoms start to fade earlier. Hopefully we'll both be feeling better in a couple of days!

And if you're the praying type, please pray that Cora's surgery goes smoothly tomorrow morning. I'll post an update to let you all know how she's doing once we're home from the hospital.

No comments: