Saturday, April 16, 2011

LOOK WHAT I MADE

I finally got around to sewing that soaker I had cut fabric for about a month ago. With Jean's guidance last night, I managed to follow the instructions well and get through it with only minimal thread breaks and restarts. My seams are nice and straight. Really! I'm actually pretty proud of myself, since to me, it looks just like the ones I've purchased (structurally). And pandas are cute.

Here's the front:
And the back:
And in action this morning (hopefully it will snug-up a bit once it's been washed a few times):
Since I had the machine out and was on a roll, I cuffed the "babylegs" I had started for Cora a few months ago:
See a trend here? I'm finding that the most difficult part of learning to sew, for me, is making the time to do it! Most of my little projects are taking me between 1-2 months... First I find a pattern I like. Then I order the fabric. Then I cut out the pattern. Another night I'll actually cut the fabric. Then I have to give myself a pep talk to gear-up for actually sewing the darn thing together. And you know what? It's really not that hard, so I don't know what I get so anxious about. Now that Jean has shown me some new tricks with the machine (to help keep my lines and curves on course, and to quickly remedy thread breaks and reload empty bobbins), I'm feeling much more confident. Next up on my list? A little something for Baby Boy Johnson, a pair of PJ pants for James, some appliqued shirts, and fleece longies for the kiddos. Fun!

1 comment:

Sharmila Athrey said...

that is awesome!!! It looks good on Cora.