*updated for spring
A friend asked me about running gear recently and wondered whether I'd be willing to do a blog post on what works and what doesn't, since she's been having a hard time feeling comfortable while running (probably doesn't help that our local weather keeps changing drastically, messing with our heat/cold acclimations, as well as our sinuses). My answer was that what works for me likely won't work for you... Every runner has different clothing and gear preferences because they have different body types, different comfort levels for heat or cold, and different tastes in clothing style. I have, by no stretch of the imagination, tried all the brands and styles available - far from it... but I have tried a lot! So for anyone interested, here are my favorite apparel items and my essential running gear!
--- Oh, and quick tip before you purchase any of this stuff... (Or anything online, really...) Check multiple sites to compare prices (I always check Amazon and Sierra Trading Post, as well as the Brooks site and REI) or put stuff in your cart and wait a few days (often I will get the 'Did you forget something?" email offering 15% off or more, or free shipping, if I "complete" my purchase). Amazon is forever changing their prices, so just watch your item for a week or two and wait for it to drop. And ALWAYS do a quick search for coupon codes. RetailMeNot.com has codes for almost anywhere (Athleta is an exception, I almost NEVER find codes for them, so I just restrict myself to shopping their sales). You can also join sites like The Clymb and Active GearUp to get exclusive deals (and Active.com members get an additional 15% off everything they order) on items that aren't usually on sale elsewhere. ---
A friend asked me about running gear recently and wondered whether I'd be willing to do a blog post on what works and what doesn't, since she's been having a hard time feeling comfortable while running (probably doesn't help that our local weather keeps changing drastically, messing with our heat/cold acclimations, as well as our sinuses). My answer was that what works for me likely won't work for you... Every runner has different clothing and gear preferences because they have different body types, different comfort levels for heat or cold, and different tastes in clothing style. I have, by no stretch of the imagination, tried all the brands and styles available - far from it... but I have tried a lot! So for anyone interested, here are my favorite apparel items and my essential running gear!
--- Oh, and quick tip before you purchase any of this stuff... (Or anything online, really...) Check multiple sites to compare prices (I always check Amazon and Sierra Trading Post, as well as the Brooks site and REI) or put stuff in your cart and wait a few days (often I will get the 'Did you forget something?" email offering 15% off or more, or free shipping, if I "complete" my purchase). Amazon is forever changing their prices, so just watch your item for a week or two and wait for it to drop. And ALWAYS do a quick search for coupon codes. RetailMeNot.com has codes for almost anywhere (Athleta is an exception, I almost NEVER find codes for them, so I just restrict myself to shopping their sales). You can also join sites like The Clymb and Active GearUp to get exclusive deals (and Active.com members get an additional 15% off everything they order) on items that aren't usually on sale elsewhere. ---
GPS Watch: Garmin Forerunner 110
This is a basic model (not too expensive). It tells me overall run time, moving time (not counting time when you're standing still), lap time (for miles, or whatever distance I set it to), total distance run, and total calories burned. It does other things, but that is what I use it for. Jay usually uses the heartrate monitor when he runs, and I almost never do. It gives you a more accurate calorie count, but he really uses it for speedwork, to run within certain heartrates for certain time periods - he's more hardcore than me about speedwork, I just do fartleks or hill repeats. You can get the 110 without the heartrate monitor for about $30 less. My buddies use the Garmin Forerunner 10, which is smaller (looks nice on us girls), and has similar functions. If my 110 ever breaks, I'll be getting the 10 because I like the function it has where you can review your splits right on the watch (rather than having to wait until you get home and upload to your run online at Garmin Connect).
Anti-Chafe: BodyGlide and Skin Sake
Anti-Chafe: BodyGlide and Skin Sake
This is serious business... If you wear sports bras, shorts, tees, or tanks while running, you probably need BodyGlide or Skin Sake. Even if you are small and fit, you can chafe. Just add heat, sweat, and friction to your sensitive parts (think thighs, underarms, and bust line), and you have a recipe for disaster once you hit the shower. Just sayin'. I've been using BodyGlide for 2 years and I don't leave for a run without it (even if I'm wearing long-sleeves and tights, I put that Glide on my bust line). Skin Sake is a product I just learned about at the Mississippi Blues Marathon expo, and it reportedly works even BETTER than BodyGlide - only drawback is that it is hard to wash off. It doesn't stain clothes, but it can last a day or two before coming off. Because of that, I tend to use it on my bust line, then use the BodyGlide for my thighs and arms. It's all preference, of course.
Shoes: Saucony Virrata
No two people in the same group of runners, even a group of 10-15, will usually wear the same shoe model. Same brand, yes, but rarely the same model. Everyone has a different size and shape to their foot, runs with a their own gait, prefers traditional or minimal shoes, and a zillion other factors. I moved from traditional running shoes (Mizuno Wave Riders) when I first started back over 2 years ago to a transitional shoe (Brooks PureFlow - going from a 12mm heel-to-toe drop to a 4mm drop) to a minimal shoe (New Balance Minimus - a zero drop shoe). Talking about transitioning to minimal or barefoot running and form would take me a whole other post, and I'm no expert, so I'll just leave it at this: I switched and I've been more comfortable with less injuries ever since. I have stayed in minimalist shoes, trying a few brands and styles (Vibram FiveFingers KSO, Merrell BareAccess Arc, Merrell CrushGlove, Saucony Virrata - I'm on my FOURTH pair I like them so much!, and my first pair of trail shoes: Altra Superior). I actually like my Altras so much that I'm thinking of trying one of their road shoes next time I'm due for new shoes...
Socks: ProCompression and Nike DriFit
I really love their low trainer socks for everyday runs and the marathon compression socks for long runs and recovery after long runs. I hear they are coming out with a no-show sock soon too... Don't ever purchase their socks full price though - you can find coupon codes for 40% off OFTEN (they even have a "deals" tab on their website), and their "Sock of the Month" is always on sale. In the summer, I prefer the Nike DriFit because they are thinner and lower cut (the less you wear in the summer around here, the better, even on your feet). I've never had blisters with any of these (except during the marathon, but I don't think any socks could have saved my toes over those last 6 miles...), but I'm tempted to try Balega socks this summer because they get really great reviews from long distance runners. And I'm editing this to add Injini... I don't like wearing their toe socks along with my Vibram FiveFingers (too much material between my toes makes them "cranky"), but I like them w/ my other running shoes. They even came out with their own compression socks, and they are perfect for long trail runs (protecting your toes from blisters while also protecting your shins from branches and vines).
Sports Bras: Brooks Infiniti
For my size (large, but not so huge that I need the super fancy bras) I need encapsulation plus compression, and I found that in the Brooks Infiniti, PLUS the bonus of a racerback style and no hooks (that's a harder combo to find in larger bra sizes designed for high impact sports than you'd think). I don't like hooks because that's just one more place I have to worry about chaffing, and I prefer racerback because they look better under tanks (again, the less clothes in the summer here, the better, so even tees are out for me for half the year). You really have to find the best fit for yourself though, through trial and error (and measuring) - no way around it. Like shoes, my favorite sports bra is very unlikely to be yours.
Tights and Capris: Athleta Bare to Run Tight and Athleta Relay Capri
I am a HUGE fan of Athleta (and for that matter, Old Navy Active) for running and gym attire. The two choices mentioned specifically above happen to be my absolute favorites, but I own a few capris by Athleta and Old Navy and I really like them all. Anything with compression is going to be your friend when you're running, especially longer distances. Lock and load! And eliminate chafe. The Bare to Run Tight is a very lightweight tight, so if it's really cold out, I wear my fleece-lined running tights that I found on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods over a year ago when I was training for RNR NOLA (I think they're Adidas tights). If I ever need another pair of cold weather tights though, I'll likely get the Athleta version (the WindWarrior) since I like all their other bottoms so much.
I am a HUGE fan of Athleta (and for that matter, Old Navy Active) for running and gym attire. The two choices mentioned specifically above happen to be my absolute favorites, but I own a few capris by Athleta and Old Navy and I really like them all. Anything with compression is going to be your friend when you're running, especially longer distances. Lock and load! And eliminate chafe. The Bare to Run Tight is a very lightweight tight, so if it's really cold out, I wear my fleece-lined running tights that I found on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods over a year ago when I was training for RNR NOLA (I think they're Adidas tights). If I ever need another pair of cold weather tights though, I'll likely get the Athleta version (the WindWarrior) since I like all their other bottoms so much.
Shorts: Brooks Epiphany Stretch Short and Athleta Presto Short
I have two types of favorite shorts: short and loose, and long and tight. The Brooks Epiphany are extremely lightweight (perfect for our hot and humid summers), they have a tie waist (custom fit), and they come in a zillion cute colors. As long as I remember my BodyGlide, I don't have to worry about chafe. The Athleta Presto Short is my go-to race short. Yes, I know it looks like a bike short, but it is SO COMFORTABLE (and I promise you that you won't be alone running in compression shorts - lots of runners where them). It's light compression, there is a tie waist and tons of pockets (perfect for storing your phone and Gu's), and it comes in various lengths (you can get petite or tall or even Bermuda length, depending on your preference). I prefer the 7" length for my height (NEVER ride up, zero chafe worry, and plenty of coverage for this mama). In my experience, unless it is REALLY cold, I don't want to wear tights or even capris for racing, and this short works great for me in all seasons. Don't believe me? Go check out my Race Recaps - you'll see it in most of the photos... (It's even under my Sparkle Skirt and Kilt.) Quick note, if you tend to sweat when you run (personally, I think I am a very heavy sweater, year-round, but especially in the hot, humid 6-month-long summer here), you should stick with black or VERY dark colored shorts. They show the sweat less, and us adults obviously don't want to look like we've peed ourselves while doing errands after a run.
I have two types of favorite shorts: short and loose, and long and tight. The Brooks Epiphany are extremely lightweight (perfect for our hot and humid summers), they have a tie waist (custom fit), and they come in a zillion cute colors. As long as I remember my BodyGlide, I don't have to worry about chafe. The Athleta Presto Short is my go-to race short. Yes, I know it looks like a bike short, but it is SO COMFORTABLE (and I promise you that you won't be alone running in compression shorts - lots of runners where them). It's light compression, there is a tie waist and tons of pockets (perfect for storing your phone and Gu's), and it comes in various lengths (you can get petite or tall or even Bermuda length, depending on your preference). I prefer the 7" length for my height (NEVER ride up, zero chafe worry, and plenty of coverage for this mama). In my experience, unless it is REALLY cold, I don't want to wear tights or even capris for racing, and this short works great for me in all seasons. Don't believe me? Go check out my Race Recaps - you'll see it in most of the photos... (It's even under my Sparkle Skirt and Kilt.) Quick note, if you tend to sweat when you run (personally, I think I am a very heavy sweater, year-round, but especially in the hot, humid 6-month-long summer here), you should stick with black or VERY dark colored shorts. They show the sweat less, and us adults obviously don't want to look like we've peed ourselves while doing errands after a run.
Skorts: Brooks PR Mesh Skort
OK, I'm going to go ahead and list this as my most favorite skort because I liked it so much that I bought a second one a year later in a different color, but I'll also add that I really like most of the Athleta skorts I've purchased (and yes, I have more skorts than I'm willing to admit - I even buy the longer version skorts for "dressing up" in the spring/summer because the attached bike shorts underneath are so perfect while chasing preschoolers around). Skorts are by far my favorite piece of workout attire! They combine the comfy compression short with a booty-covering skirt (which also hides sweat marks - bonus!), they're cute, and they're functional (most of them have hidden pockets on the compression shorts, plus a zipper pocket at the back waist). The Brooks PR Mesh is airy and lightweight, but not see-through, and it still has enough weight to it that it hangs nicely and doesn't bunch up when running. It's a clean A-line that I'm betting would look good on any body type. The inner compression shorts are comfy and stay in place. The only thing I don't like about them is that they don't have an inner drawstring, so if you're between sizes, you might have a loose fit around the waist (and I'm kinda between sizes right now... but luckily the waist isn't loose enough to slip around). Most Athleta skorts, like this one by Brooks, have the non-slip plastic gripper inside the hem of the inner shorts. Some folks don't like them, but I think they're ingenious, and even my large runner quads feel and look just fine in them (I don't have any weird bulges at the leg seam and I never feel constricted or pinched). The bonus about the Athleta skorts is that you can order them in Tall, which gives an extra couple of inches if you're average height or above and want a little more coverage, as I tend to. When ordering skorts (or shorts, for that matter), I go with my hip measurement over my waist - that way you know they will fit because MOST have that inner drawstring that can cinch the waist if needed (just not the PR Mesh...).
OK, I'm going to go ahead and list this as my most favorite skort because I liked it so much that I bought a second one a year later in a different color, but I'll also add that I really like most of the Athleta skorts I've purchased (and yes, I have more skorts than I'm willing to admit - I even buy the longer version skorts for "dressing up" in the spring/summer because the attached bike shorts underneath are so perfect while chasing preschoolers around). Skorts are by far my favorite piece of workout attire! They combine the comfy compression short with a booty-covering skirt (which also hides sweat marks - bonus!), they're cute, and they're functional (most of them have hidden pockets on the compression shorts, plus a zipper pocket at the back waist). The Brooks PR Mesh is airy and lightweight, but not see-through, and it still has enough weight to it that it hangs nicely and doesn't bunch up when running. It's a clean A-line that I'm betting would look good on any body type. The inner compression shorts are comfy and stay in place. The only thing I don't like about them is that they don't have an inner drawstring, so if you're between sizes, you might have a loose fit around the waist (and I'm kinda between sizes right now... but luckily the waist isn't loose enough to slip around). Most Athleta skorts, like this one by Brooks, have the non-slip plastic gripper inside the hem of the inner shorts. Some folks don't like them, but I think they're ingenious, and even my large runner quads feel and look just fine in them (I don't have any weird bulges at the leg seam and I never feel constricted or pinched). The bonus about the Athleta skorts is that you can order them in Tall, which gives an extra couple of inches if you're average height or above and want a little more coverage, as I tend to. When ordering skorts (or shorts, for that matter), I go with my hip measurement over my waist - that way you know they will fit because MOST have that inner drawstring that can cinch the waist if needed (just not the PR Mesh...).
Shirts and Tanks: pretty much anything...
I get long-sleeved shirts, tees, and tanks from all over... Athleta, GapFit, Old Navy Active, Brooks, Sierra Trading Post, The Clymb, Active GearUp, Reebok Outlet, T J Maxx, etc. I don't have any brand favorite, and I own LOTS of brands of shirts and tanks (because I tend to just get whatever is on sale as seasons change). Really, all I need is something with wicking fabric that isn't see-through, and that doesn't have built-in support (a lot of tanks do, so you have to check for that - unless you're petite in the chest area, then go ahead and get those because they are CUTE). I need to wear my own perfect bra. Enough said. For long-sleeve shirts, I really prefer the ones with thumb holes because they allow me to semi-cover my hands in cooler temperatures without needing gloves. For tees, I prefer cap-sleeves (or very short sleeves). Anything longer ends up feeling annoying. And for everything, especially tanks, I prefer something slim fit as opposed to drapey, even though my middle section is far from flat. It's more comfortable to run long distances if your clothes aren't shifting all over the place and bunching up. And I promise you, NOBODY cares what you're wearing when you run (or exercise at the gym). Cute clothes are fun, and yes, people notice them (and I am one of those people that believes a positive body image helps my motivation to keep on exercising, so I indulge myself in the cute), but even if you're wearing old sweats and your free blood donation tee, I promise you nobody is even going to bat an eye. Runners are seriously the most accepting and supportive group of individuals I've ever met - they just want you to succeed (at your own pace and desire), keep them company out on the road or trail, and be happy. I also justify buying cute running shirts by wearing them for other activities (taking the kids to the playground, hiking, covering up at the splash pad, etc.) - I sweat enough here in the summer that if I know I'm going to be outside for longer than 30 minutes, I avoid cotton shirts/tanks and choose a workout top instead!
I get long-sleeved shirts, tees, and tanks from all over... Athleta, GapFit, Old Navy Active, Brooks, Sierra Trading Post, The Clymb, Active GearUp, Reebok Outlet, T J Maxx, etc. I don't have any brand favorite, and I own LOTS of brands of shirts and tanks (because I tend to just get whatever is on sale as seasons change). Really, all I need is something with wicking fabric that isn't see-through, and that doesn't have built-in support (a lot of tanks do, so you have to check for that - unless you're petite in the chest area, then go ahead and get those because they are CUTE). I need to wear my own perfect bra. Enough said. For long-sleeve shirts, I really prefer the ones with thumb holes because they allow me to semi-cover my hands in cooler temperatures without needing gloves. For tees, I prefer cap-sleeves (or very short sleeves). Anything longer ends up feeling annoying. And for everything, especially tanks, I prefer something slim fit as opposed to drapey, even though my middle section is far from flat. It's more comfortable to run long distances if your clothes aren't shifting all over the place and bunching up. And I promise you, NOBODY cares what you're wearing when you run (or exercise at the gym). Cute clothes are fun, and yes, people notice them (and I am one of those people that believes a positive body image helps my motivation to keep on exercising, so I indulge myself in the cute), but even if you're wearing old sweats and your free blood donation tee, I promise you nobody is even going to bat an eye. Runners are seriously the most accepting and supportive group of individuals I've ever met - they just want you to succeed (at your own pace and desire), keep them company out on the road or trail, and be happy. I also justify buying cute running shirts by wearing them for other activities (taking the kids to the playground, hiking, covering up at the splash pad, etc.) - I sweat enough here in the summer that if I know I'm going to be outside for longer than 30 minutes, I avoid cotton shirts/tanks and choose a workout top instead!
Jacket: Brooks Utopia
This jacket was a post-Christmas splurge for me (using my Christmas money) and I got it on sale (yes, I know it's still expensive, and I don't usually spend near that amount of cash of running attire, but I'd been eyeing that jacket for months). As soon as I ordered it I felt guilty and worried that I wouldn't get much use out of it (we don't have all that many days that require winter tights and jackets for running here in the Deep South), but January, February, and March gave me plenty of opportunity to use it this year (what with our multiple snow days and ice storm, not to mention the many hard freezes we had) and it's truly AWESOME. Very warm without being the least bit bulky, it has fleece cuffs with thumb holes (which I wear OVER my gloves for added warmth), and a high cowl-ish neck to keep the wind out (which I usually unzip and fold down after the first few miles, once I'm warmed up). Lots of reflectivity all around, and the color I picked (the bright pink one) makes me highly visible to traffic. I can't say enough good things!
This jacket was a post-Christmas splurge for me (using my Christmas money) and I got it on sale (yes, I know it's still expensive, and I don't usually spend near that amount of cash of running attire, but I'd been eyeing that jacket for months). As soon as I ordered it I felt guilty and worried that I wouldn't get much use out of it (we don't have all that many days that require winter tights and jackets for running here in the Deep South), but January, February, and March gave me plenty of opportunity to use it this year (what with our multiple snow days and ice storm, not to mention the many hard freezes we had) and it's truly AWESOME. Very warm without being the least bit bulky, it has fleece cuffs with thumb holes (which I wear OVER my gloves for added warmth), and a high cowl-ish neck to keep the wind out (which I usually unzip and fold down after the first few miles, once I'm warmed up). Lots of reflectivity all around, and the color I picked (the bright pink one) makes me highly visible to traffic. I can't say enough good things!
Visor and Beanie: Pearl Izumi Visor and Brooks Breakaway Beanie
Jay got me the visor for Christmas a couple years ago and I love it. Good fit, endlessly adjustable, washing machine safe! Headsweats also makes excellent visors (and hats) w/ sweat absorbing terry linings (which the Izumi visor lacks), but they are little big on my smallish head... The beanie I bought this winter when my ear warmer wasn't quite cutting it in the wind chill. I like it (mostly because it has a ponytail hole at the back, and because it isn't too thick or hot), but I wish it had a dip over the ears to cover them more. When not wearing my visor or beanie, I use Bic Bands to keep the flyaways out of my face. I LOVE my Bic Bands!
Gloves: Manzella
For gloves, I want something that is thin, but not too thin. Not a glove liner, but an actual glove. Just not a winter ski glove, know what I mean? I only wear them when the temp is at or below freezing. These ones are perfect for me and if it's cold for my entire run, I usually can keep them on the whole time. If you're a person who uses your smartphone while running though, make sure you get a pair with the "touch tip" so you can use your electronics without having to de-glove. That said, I know runners on either end of the spectrum... Some only wear liners and some double up with liners and fleece gloves over the top - it all depends on your cold/wind tolerance.
For gloves, I want something that is thin, but not too thin. Not a glove liner, but an actual glove. Just not a winter ski glove, know what I mean? I only wear them when the temp is at or below freezing. These ones are perfect for me and if it's cold for my entire run, I usually can keep them on the whole time. If you're a person who uses your smartphone while running though, make sure you get a pair with the "touch tip" so you can use your electronics without having to de-glove. That said, I know runners on either end of the spectrum... Some only wear liners and some double up with liners and fleece gloves over the top - it all depends on your cold/wind tolerance.
Ah, the FlipBelt. This thing is so cool! I had been struggling to find a system that worked for me. I tried the Amphipod belt (which holds 2-4 water bottles and has a pouch for storing your phone and other items), but it moved around on me constantly (generally in the upward direction, bouncing around my waist). I tried an arm band for my phone (I hated the way it felt). I tried just carrying my phone in my hand or shoving it into one of the larger pockets on my shorts (no dice, the phone was either too big or too heavy, and dragged my pants down...) The FlipBelt is one continuous stretchy piece of fabric with openings to shove your gear into. You can wear it with the openings facing out, in, or up, whatever works best for you. An iPhone fits in it perfectly. I can have run with Gu's and ShotBloks, and even my car key in there (though I'm quite paranoid about dropping my car key on runs, so I usually put that into the zipper pocket at the back of my shorts/pants instead). You can position your items wherever you want around your entire waist, so I find that if I balance my phone at the small of my back and any other items up front, I have ZERO bounce and the thing stays in place my entire run. The only time I've ever had it slip is at the end of 12+ mile runs in the summer when I'm just ridiculously sweaty everywhere. In that case, I moved to using the hydration vest. I LOVE my vest. It is so convenient to have water up high on my back where I don't notice it and the tube wrapped around front so I can get a drink anytime I want. It has 2 large pockets on the front that help balance the weight of the water and easily fit my phone, Gu's, ShotBloks, Clif bar, car key, toilet paper (AKA paper towel, for emergencies in the woods), chapstick, and the kitchen sink. I've even run with an extra pair of socks or my gloves shoved into the back by the water bladder. It has a magnetic clip for the tube so that it doesn't move around, and while I do have to adjust it occasionally during a run (I usually have to tighten it as the water bladder empties), it has never bothered me in the least. I usually wear the vest for runs that are 10+ miles (my arm gets fatigued with a handheld after an hour and half or so). I like it so much that I bought Jay one for Christmas. Oh, and a quick note on water... If I'm running anything over 6 miles in the winter, I take water. In the spring/summer/fall, I usually carry water for every run, even if it's just 3 miles. But that's me - I drink a lot of water, especially when it's hot, and even at 5am. I know plenty of runners that don't drink at all though, even on 2+ hour runs (and I think they're crazy). I actually found during my 50K that I was wishing for two different beverages while I ran (water and Tailwind), rather than having to switch out at aid stations, so I might upgrade my vest to something that carries 2 large bottles (instead of a single hydration bladder) when I ramp up my milege again in the fall or winter (Ultimate Direction makes one that I'd like to try) - as I plan to do 2-3 marathons this fall/winter and another 50K in the spring.
Fuel: Gu gels and Clif ShotBloks
There are SO MANY options for fuel out there. Most runners take fuel during runs that they know will last over an hour (because mileage varies greatly depending on the speed of the runner, it's better to estimate your fuel needs based on your expected run time rather than distance). Personally, I never take anything on my short weekday runs because they are usually 6 miles or shorter (and done in an hour or less). On weekends, I don't bother with fuel for 8-milers, but if I'm planning to run 10 or more, I take it along and refuel every 5 miles during a run (and sometimes as I'm driving to my run, since I buy the kind with caffeine in them and it helps get me going on early morning runs). I've tried Gu, Clif, Hammer, and Honey Stinger gels, and I like Gu the best. My favorite flavor is the Salted Caramel, but I also like Chocolate Outrage and Vanilla Bean (no caffeine). Peppermint is yummy, but sometimes tastes werid. And I used to like Peanut Butter, but have since decided that it makes me nauseated. I HATE the fruit flavors. Honey Stinger makes simple honey flavors that are really good (and some even contain extra vitamins/nutrients) - they are SUPER sweet, but I like that. I know someone who simply eats honey while they run because they can't tolerate any brand of gel. When I need to chew something, I eat a couple ShotBloks. I've tried the Gu Chomps and Honey Stinger chews, and I prefer the texture and flavor of the ShotBloks (and all the flavors I've tried are good - all fruity). I'm just now getting into the habit of eating a mini Clif bar or wedge of peanut butter stuffed tortilla on my super long runs. And something else I'm trying out for my super long runs is Hammer Endurolytes (rather than drinking Gatorade, I take 2 of these electrolyte capsules every hour that I'm running - I found that drinking Gatorade during the marathon made me feel nauseated, and I haven't have that problem with the capsules). No matter which fuel you choose, just make sure you try it out a couple of times before race day! (Never try ANYTHING new on race day - not fuel, not drink, not clothes. Nothing new.)
Entertainment: Friends, Nature, or Music
In that order. For me, anyway. Some folks love to run with music, both for training and races. I honestly don't. Since I usually run with friends, I don't need it because I'm too busy talking. If I happen to run solo, I tend to just listen to the birds (of course, I AM a birder, so maybe that doesn't entertain other people as much as it entertains me). The only time I use music is when I'm doing a speed workout - I tend to need a fast beat to help my legs turnover faster when I don't have the adrenaline of a race to get me moving. Do whatever works for you! If you use music, most runners find it helpful to keep separate playlists for easy runs, long runs, speed workouts, and races. You can even get pre-made workout mixes at Rock My Run for free (one download per month) or for a small price (lots cheaper than buying 60 minutes worth of music on iTunes).
OK, I think that's everything... So much for the sport that only requires a pair of running shoes, eh?
Entertainment: Friends, Nature, or Music
In that order. For me, anyway. Some folks love to run with music, both for training and races. I honestly don't. Since I usually run with friends, I don't need it because I'm too busy talking. If I happen to run solo, I tend to just listen to the birds (of course, I AM a birder, so maybe that doesn't entertain other people as much as it entertains me). The only time I use music is when I'm doing a speed workout - I tend to need a fast beat to help my legs turnover faster when I don't have the adrenaline of a race to get me moving. Do whatever works for you! If you use music, most runners find it helpful to keep separate playlists for easy runs, long runs, speed workouts, and races. You can even get pre-made workout mixes at Rock My Run for free (one download per month) or for a small price (lots cheaper than buying 60 minutes worth of music on iTunes).
OK, I think that's everything... So much for the sport that only requires a pair of running shoes, eh?
4 comments:
Yay!! I am so glad you wrote this!! It helps to read what people running in super humid Mississippi wear for running!
Yep, this was good to read what works for you.
Ever heard of ProMotive? Civilians can get great discounts. A friend just introduced me.
Yes! We're members! ProMotive is great for discounts on brands that don't usually have sales (we've purchased boxes of Gu and some YurBuds headphones), but while civilians can get the deals, they do have to be military affiliated. Since it's not open to everyone, I didn't list it in the post.
Post a Comment