Saturday, May 3, 2014

"SEARCHING FOR SEUSS"

I'll group the dress rehearsal and recital into one post, since I didn't take many photos during the show anyway (we were rushed, it was dark, and I knew we ordered the DVD!, plus we weren't allowed to take photos in the dressing room and that is where we spent most of our time). Much of the music for this recital was taken from Seussical the Musical. I thought the concept was really fun, the costumes were incredible, and the instructors did a great job of assigning roles and choreography. I promise to upload video of Cora's tap and ballet numbers once we get the DVD (which will probably be in week or two).
Finding the directions to her dressing room at the start of dress rehearsal
I find it amusing that her tap photos are always accompanied by sass and and flair and smiles, whereas her ballet photos are always SO serious. I think she might be in this dance thing for the long haul - she really LOVES it!
Watching production #1 practice, for 1.75 hours... They started at 4:00pm and we (in production #2) were suppose to start at 6:00pm (which is when we arrived). Apparently dance rehearsals always run late and take forever, but being newbies, we had no idea what to expect. It was far too long to be confined to the tiny dressing room, so we ventured in and out of the auditorium. They finally started the second rehearsal at 7:45pm. That's a long time for the 3-year-olds to wait around for their turn to start... especially when most of them are usually in bed by 7:30-8:00pm!
All that waiting makes a girl hungry (and tired...), and since they aren't allowed to eat in costume, mama was feeding her baby bird style in the audience (shhh, don't tell anyone we cheated).
The leads in one of their costume changes. Bet you can guess who they are!
Baby doll finally got her chance to go on stage! She was SO very happy! She was smiling at me and giving me tiny little waves from the sidelines! (She's second in line)
OK, here's a series from their tap number. Cora is second from the left in the back row. This was their first time performing without their teacher in front of them to show them the moves. I thought it was hilarious that they all tried to follow Alyssa (the one girl who actually has the routines memorized - she's 4.5-years-old - she's in the front, second from the right). And when they weren't following her, they just spun in circles. Gotta love 3-year-olds!
"Think of a person too tiny to see"
Lining up back stage for their ballet number (which required a quick change from tan tights and tap shoes to pink tights and ballet slippers, and the addition of the tutu/skirt, of course)
That's Sam I Am with her Green Eggs and Ham on the far left, and Cindy Lou Who in the middle
This number had something to do with using your voice, hence the hands around their throats...
Funny thing I have to note... the girl on the left in back next to Cora is Julie-Ann, the little cutie that was in Cora's class back when she was 18-months-old. The little girl whose mom pulled her from school due to Cora biting her... And they've been in the same dance class for months! It was just a couple weeks ago that I finally realized where I recognized her from though. Her mom and I have not exchanged the "so THAT'S how I know you's" and I'm sure not bringing it up!
When you get out of dress rehearsal at 8:30pm even though your bedtime is 8:00pm and when you had a meltdown at 7:40pm your mama promised you ice cream if you pulled yourself together and sucked it up for just a little longer, your mama sure as heck delivers that treat when you're still awake at 8:45pm as you drive past Orange Leaf...
Putting the finishing touches on tonight at the recital (Rudolph needed to accompany her for support). We had to borrow darker blush and lipstick after this photo to meet the "minimum makeup requirement". But hey, at least I learned how to apply eyeliner at the ripe old age of 35 through this whole experience, so that's something!
Getting flowers from daddy at intermission (she was so proud!) while big brother attacks a Truffula Tree...
Getting some fresh air and sunlight during intermission (and a family picture!)
The big finale! The leads are up front as Horton, Cindy Lou Who, The Grinch, Sam I Am, and the Lorax. After the finale, Cora stomped back to the dressing room and declared "I didn't get to do all my ballet!" when I asked her if she had fun. Apparently going on stage to wave and curtsy was not enough of a spotlight for her talents!
 One last set of dressed up photos before putting her flowers in a vase and getting her into PJs! We sure are proud of you Cora - proud of your focus, proud of your enthusiasm, and proud that you chose an activity that you really like doing. Congratulations on your first dance recital baby doll, you were a joy to watch and we're so happy that you had fun out there!

2 comments:

Michelle Bourne said...

She is such a cute little dancer! Looks like she really enjoys it too. :)

Michelle Bourne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.